My LR3 Paid Off - Overall Review Since Ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalslug

Reaction score
All,

I was writing and extensive overview of ownership but got kicked out of the forum for some reason. So I'll make this quick and hopefully it will help folks. As of last week I officially own my LR3 with 79k miles on the OD. One less car payment is always good. But a couple of these payments I no longer have will go towards some outstanding repairs the car needs.

Purchased my 2005 Tonga Green LR3 SE7 used in Dec 2010 with 47k. Bought extended warranty for 3 years or 75k.

20150308_190625_LLS_resized_zps5wi8zlcr.jpg

20150308_190444_LLS_resized_zpsudmvkacz.jpg

Overall functionally of the car was great. Great car for long trips. The extra 2 jump seats came in handy. Was told by passengers that the ride was smooth and comfy. Extra 2 jump seats were roomy. Great car for outdoor activities. I used my LR3 for camping, mountain biking and snowboarding, it satisfied all my needs. Only issue I had was with the Yakima Stickup tray style bike hitch which had issues folding up due to the location of the OEM tow hitch being further in then the rear bumper. Temp fix was to remove the tray closest to the rear bumper to be able to fold it up. The fix would be to purchase a hitch extender (2 extra inches of clearance should do it).

Offroading.... Ha! you guys will laugh at what I call offroading. No offroading but doesn't mean that I won't try it.

Repair list and our best friend the HDC fault codes. Here's my documented experience and resolution.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24963

Got thank you messages from folks saying that my information came in handy in diagnosing the issue. People will tell you that you need a new battery or the notorious brake light switch which I replaced both. They might be inexpensive ways of self-diagnosing the issue, but in my opinion your best bet will be to visit an indy shop that specializes with Landrovers. They will have the proper computer (large IPAD lol) to properly diagnose the issue or issues. Fair warning that the repair cost my postpone your expedition roof rack purchase. Cost was about 900 dollars but check the post.

Other repairs:

Replacing Front Bushings - Known issue with our cars. Covered under extended warranty. Cost was about 400 dollars but could be wrong as I don't have the receipt next to me.

Thermostat failure - Check engine light will come on and the engine temp will go through the roof. Covered under extended warranty. Cost was about 300 dollars but could be wrong as I don't have the receipt next to me.

ABS module Failure - Loud hissing noise coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. At first I though it was the air suspension. No HDC fault codes message or lowering of suspension thankfully (See picture). Not covered under extended warranty. Cost was about 400 dollars to rebuilt the ABS module plus labor which wasn't to bad.

20140630_115045_resized_zpsajgjllwf.jpg

Overall repairs aside from the HDC fault codes repair were reasonable. Definitely find a good indy shop that specializes with Landrovers before taking it to the sealership.

Outstanding issues that need repair both mechanical and cosmetically:

Front bushing need replacing again. Again known issue with our cars. If I recall it's due to the poor quality of the bushings and weight of the car. I believe British Atlantic sells poly bushings now which my last longer from what I read about poly bushings. Not sure what I will go with yet. I will update all on my decision.

Need new key fob as mine will randomly work now. Had two fobs but my dad lost one. Called two sealerships on cost to replace and was told that it cost about 400 dollars which covers the cost of the new key fob with etched key blade and programing. Was told that it takes a few weeks as they have to send out to someone to program based on your VIN. Not sure if other folks were told the same. Found one locksmith that said he could do it and if I got my own key fob (eBay) was going to charge me about 350 dollars which is only a few dollars less then the sealership. Other locksmiths I called won't work with Landrover key fobs.

The notorious cracked dash board issue. Seeing folks chime more now. Yes my car sits out in the California sun. Got a sun visor but was to late and started to see cracks in the vent locations and the majority were in the passenger airbag area. Spoke to upholstery shops and there's no way to repair it unless I want it custom wrapped which I was quoted 1k plus. Heard that the sealership charges about 900/1k for a new one. Seen used ones for 400 to 500 dollars so half the price of a new one. No one has pulled the trigger on trying to retrofit the LR4 dash as a fix. Read somewhere that the LR4 dash width maybe longer.

Alternator/Stater/Electrical issue as car will randomly not want to turn on. Difficult to diagnose as the issue will happen for one or two days and then will go back to normal. Got check engine light after a few attempt as you you should if the computer detects multiple ignition start up attempts. Indy Landrover shop didn't find any issues but the car went back to normal when I took it in. Not sure of other folks have this issue.

New issue of air bag failure light. The red air bag light will come on randomly. Did it a few times this week and last night. Not sure what it could be. Don't think it's because of the cracked dash. If someone else has this issue, please chime in. I haven't search the forum yet.

Will keep everyone posted my progress to get this issues sorted.

Conclusion: All cars have issues, someone more then others :proud: . For the buyer looking purchase a used one. If you are buying one used without warranty, have an indy shop that specializes in Landrovers insect it for you. They may or may not find an existing issue or issues. Have some rainy day funds set aside. Make sure this isn't your primary transportation car and more of your activity car as they are great for a weekend getaways. If you can purchase one with an extended warranty even better but make sure you check what is covered as some of these companies have some silly exclusions and will stop at nothing to not paid for repairs, learned from experience.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM