My Rubber Donut is Thrashed!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

Banjoman

1996 D1
Problem - during acceleration from a stop there is very heavy vibration until I hit 30 mph. About 6 weeks ago I had the problem fixed - my local import shop localized the problem and found it to be the rubber coupling between the drive shaft and the rear diff, so they replaced the rubber donut. Everything was cool until about 3 weeks ago when the problem arose once again. I just examined the donut again and it looks the same as the one that was replaced 6 weeks ago.

What is causing this? Could it be something with the rear diff?

The donut looks as though it has been severely torqued or something.
Please Help!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got lift? Got CDL locked on pavement?

Or got screwed by shop who said they replaced it but they didnt.

D

discomike

Take a good look at the coupling that is now going bad, does it have weather wear, did they screw you. It's not the lift as long as you are at no more than 3"s The only other though would be the rear diff goin out. How many miles on your truck?
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still dont think its rear differential, b/c if it will be too hard to rotate - power will simply go off to front one in unlocked mode - hence my question about locked CDL.

But even bad differential shouldnt really wear new rubber in only 6 weeks.

D

discomike

Sergei,
No his is a 96, it does not have ETC to move the power to the front. Depending on what may have failed, if it is the diff, you can still rotate ite spindle.
This needs to get to a good trust worthy shop to be inspected.
Mike j.

B

Banjoman

No lift, only 70,000 miles.
At the shop I watched them throw the worn rubber away and they showed me the new one - so I could see the difference. So it is new.

Mike - where is the spindle located? Inside the flange?

Anyone know of a good shop in Pensacola, FL?

Should I try the driveshaft conversion kit?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right Mike, b/c if rear differential rotating on some random error basis - it will put lots of stress (stop/go/stop...) on to rubber coupling. So its possible to seriously wear it over short time. D1 doesnt need ETC to move as forward/rear drive only vehicle :) It can be done by damaging certain things so differential cant accept rotation from shaft b/c it stuck - then other end that still can rotate - will do so. Hence CDL... :)

Eric - did you had any lovely "bang" kind of noise from rear of truck? And also - check how tight bolts on that rubber thing. I sppse if they become loose there is play that may force rubber to destruct faster.

There are indeed tons of conversion possibilities for rear shaft. You can get one from D2 (some years didnt have rubber in there, cant remember which though) off junk yard, off atlantic british, off many other places. You can also get aftermarket heavier duty shaft from GBR or TW. Safari Gard also making those, but they known to take forever to do things.

Last edited:

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone! I did driveshaft conversion from Dap inc. It was the second best thing I did for my Rover. My second coupling failed after just 1 month of install & an extremely gnarly hill climb. (3inch lift and I didn't bother to change the bushing when I changed the rotoflex) LRW

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9