Need A Mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I live in Eastern Kentucky and really don't want to take my '98 Disco to a dealer. The nearest dealer is in Charleston WV. Is there a mechanic anyone could recommend within a reasonable distance? With a LR computer. I need the following work done.

1. ABS troubles

2. Horn (checked all connections)

3. Cruise Control

4. SRS reset.

5. I also have a recurring "catalyst below threshold" check engine code that is driving me nuts. (have had it reset several times)

Any Help?

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off its a 0420, or 0430 its a new catalytic converter.

I can tell you the problems if you give me the exact code,

also your cruise most likely doesnt work cause the vacuum lines are cracked, look on the driverside and inspect them, if they are crack cut a bit and put them back on.

the abs is probably your sensors, put the tire in the air and check for any play, if no play then its most likely needs to be tapped back down, take a small screwdriver and tap on it a bit.

the horn I suspect is a bad wire between the steering column and the fuse block. I have seen it stop working alot on them. you need to run a new wire and your fine.

and yes I am tech.

Reaction score
I have replaced most of the vacuum hose on the cruise control unit. I will try your other suggestions though. There is a new vacuum pump on e-bay for 20.00 I was thinking of replacing the pump. what would you say? it looks like a fella would have to remove the front bumper to get to the vacuum pump. What say you Sandman?

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually if they all good its possible its a the pump or something else. try using a vacuum pump to activate everything.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
KY-Rover... also just so you know you do not have to remove the bumper to get to the pump... Just reach down behind the drivers headlight and the pump will come out of the hole... I would check the vacuum lines there as well...

Reaction score
I have extracted the vacuum pump (through the hole) and took it in to the plant where I work and had the instrument tech's check it.

they said that it works but will only pull a 2" Hg vacuum.

Is this enough to work the system? or is this pump shot?

Some of the guys say it should pull 20" Hg or more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo