Need advice on potential purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

localbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2005 SE V8, 54k miles. Pretty good condition except the following:

dash is cracked in a few spots from sun damage
headliner is peeling off a big in back near the cargo area

Now I checked the carfax and the following have been replaced:

AC compressor, control arms, drive shaft, some interior parts, and some other things.

Do you think this is problem child or a safe bet because of the service history.

Would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks everyone.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much the asking price is.. Never overpay for something that isn't worth the cost of owning.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much, given the dash will have to be replaced, and the headliner fixed. I'd go 14k or less, IMO.

I'd keep looking, you can find nicer I bet. :)

localbrew

Reaction score
Thanks very much.

I throw them a low offer and see what they say, my guess is they will hold firm due to the low miles.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob...these are great vehicles, so you may as well get the right one the first time.

If in budget, I'd look at an 07.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dash cracking if its around the passenger airbag is very common in warm areas. But I agree the price is high.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont get it replaced if you still live in FL...it will continue to do it. Was advised this by 2 dealerships and my close sales guy. Theyre seeing several 05-07 lr3 with this. I think the sports and now LR4 do not have this issue because of the thicker more luxurious dash pad. Mine started to crack on my LR3 back in early 10' and then finally cracked around the airbag last fall.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out autos.aol.com. Here is a graph of all 05-06 for sale with <55K miles. You can quickly see the limited 'value' of low miles. Sometimes you can find a highly optioned SE for a really good price. (looks for fog lights as a tell) I used this tool to figure out what was a good deal in your price range, then limit the range to area you are willing to travel to pu. Then keep checking and be patient: http://goo.gl/fCGzC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM