New battery - no IDM to BCU communication!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klaine1

Reaction score
I've tried everything to get my 2004 Discovery started after i put in a new CPS and new battery. The alarm, windows, locks, and gear shift do not respond. I've tried the key in position II for 5 minutes; the 4 locks and unlocks; holding the key in unlock position for 4 seconds; the 1515 code (but i never got the alarm to light up). I've checked the fuses and they're ok. i've unplugged the serial cable to the BCU and IDM, no go. I don't have my EKA code, but i don't think it would help because the alarm is not responding at all. the M & S and D began flashing after i ran the battery down trying to start the engine. i improperly installed the new CPS (with the spacers on first). i've reinstalled the CPS properly. Should i move to check the Neutral switch, Starter Relay, Reimmobilization coil?? I'm at my wits end, HELP PLEZ!

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have SOME indication of power, have you tried plugging in an OBDII reader? - See if you've got any relevent codes?

What caused you to replace the CPS?

luck,greg

klaine1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Greg409. i'm an idiot once again. when i installed the CPS incorrectly by placing the spacers on first, the car would not start, of course. I thought the computer had to reprogram itself, so i disconnected the battery (and bought a new battery needlessly). when i reconnected the battery i blew fuse 13 (Body Control Unit 10a) in the engine compartment fuse box. I never checked that fuse. when i discovered it, I put a new 10a fuse in and the car started perfectly!! no reprogramming necessary! this is a good forum

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I wish they were all that easy, thanks for the follow-up

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM