New Goodyear A/T 19" tire available, in North America!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

2732_wrangler_all_terrain_adventure_2.jpg

Sized 255/60R19. Looks like a nice option for those with 19" wheels, a moderately oversized tire compared to the stock setup (a good thing if you off road with it), but at just over 31" in diameter it's still small enough to fit w/o issues, rubbing, etc. Price isn't bad, either.

I'd pick this over a 255/55R19 Cooper Zeon LTZ or Pirelli Scorpion ATR, just because of the extra sidewall.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6TR9WATA&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Do we have reviews of similar tires?

What are people's experiences with respect to dealers giving credit on new tires pulled off the car at delivery?

Should I even try this or just keep the OEM tires until they wear out? I'm not planning any serious off-roading.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, ive been driving around on my GY Wrangler Silent Armors today... they dont look much different. They get fantastic reviews on tire rack. Looking forward to seeing how these do.

wrangler_silentarmor_owl_ci2_l.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pick this because of the Kevlar!

From reading a bit more about this tire, it seems that the Pro-Grade version is like the silent armor but with a new sidewall.. built a bit differently. I think it depends on what version you get. Maybe this is is just a newer version of silent armor? the tread pattern seems very similar. The armors do have kevlar.

I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews for winter use. Only the Pro-Grade version is rated for severe winter conditions, where as the armors are all rated for it.

I usually watch a tire for at least a year before buying. Tire designs need lots of testing by the public unfortunately. Sometimes a design is just a dud and they are loud, ****** in water/winter, wear wrong, whatever.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks, Umberto!

Was this the tire that has been available in Europe and at one time in the US? I am still thinking of going the Compomotive route, but this might be a good alternative if those aren't in my near future plans. My Coopers are almost new (less than 2,000 miles), so I can likely sell them.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Do we have reviews of similar tires?

What are people's experiences with respect to dealers giving credit on new tires pulled off the car at delivery?

Should I even try this or just keep the OEM tires until they wear out? I'm not planning any serious off-roading.
If I buy them I will give you a crazy good deal on my current Coopers! :) Hehe!

When I traded in my old truck they were supposed to switch out the new tires for my Coopers, but it ended up being way more hassle than it was worth. They were going to charge me because service had to get involved. I ended up just leaving them on there because I a lot more trade-in than I ever thought.

You might have better luck.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this the tire that has been available in Europe and at one time in the US

You are probably thinking about the 255/55R19 Wrangler MT/R, a much tougher and more aggressively sculpted mud terrain tire that was briefly available in the US a couple of years ago after being imported from Germany for top dollars for years prior... I understand that tire is now being phased out over in Europe as well, new EU noise pollution regulations made this one too noisy for their roads.

The MT/R was nearly bomb-proof, but hard riding in addition to noisy, plus it was downright dangerous at high speeds - I think it had a pitiful "Q" speed rating - and pretty scary in the rain due to the giant, mud friendly tread blocks. It was definitely a no-compromise, specialized off-road tire. In Europe it has been replaced by the somewhat "milder" Wrangler DuraTrac, same 19" size, unfortunately that tire is not available in the US, either.

My only concern about these new Wrangler A/T Adventure - besides reliability and durability of course, since it's a new tire - is the load index. It seems a little low at 109, isn't a load index of 110 the minimum recommended by Land Rover for the LR4? I think even the crappy stock 19s have a load index of 111.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably thinking about the 255/55R19 Wrangler MT/R, a much tougher and more aggressively sculpted mud terrain tire that was briefly available in the US a couple of years ago after being imported from Germany for top dollars for years prior... I understand that tire is now being phased out over in Europe as well, new EU noise pollution regulations made this one too noisy for their roads.

The MT/R was nearly bomb-proof, but hard riding in addition to noisy, plus it was downright dangerous at high speeds - I think it had a pitiful "Q" speed rating - and pretty scary in the rain due to the giant, mud friendly tread blocks. It was definitely a no-compromise, specialized off-road tire. In Europe it has been replaced by the somewhat "milder" Wrangler DuraTrac, same 19" size, unfortunately that tire is not available in the US, either.

My only concern about these new Wrangler A/T Adventure - besides reliability and durability of course, since it's a new tire - is the load index. It seems a little low at 109, isn't a load index of 110 the minimum recommended by Land Rover for the LR4? I think even the crappy stock 19s have a load index of 111.
Hey Umberto,

Thanks for the response - I get these tires confused. I believe you are right, 110 is the minimum load index recommended by Land Rover. I know the 255/55R9 Coopers have a load index of 111. I don't think I am going to jump on these ties, as I would rather save the money for the 18" wheels and some tires that are a bit more established and tested. Still, nice to have options!

-David

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had a Goodyear tire that I liked. My 2002 allroad came with Goodyear tires and I tossed them at 5K miles since they refused to stay balanced. Even Audi switched to using Pirelli for OE allroad tires starting in 2003. I also tossed the OE Goodyear Wranglers that came on our LR3 at about 4K miles after repeated bad hydroplaning. Had good experiences with the ATR's and now have the Coopers on the LR3. Best sand tire so far. Just bought a set of used 19" LR3 wheels & Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires for the LR4. I'll probably toss the OE Contis in spring and go with Coopers on the LR4 as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72