New LR3 Owner :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhazer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been watching this Forum for the past 10 days and reading alot about the LR3 , me and my wife are expecting a baby soon, and she owns an INFINITI EX35 2008, and I myself have a 2005 350Z manual gear....and after pondering for a few months i decided its time for a new car, in which case i would then sell my 350z.A car which i can use for space, and offroading if i wanted to.

I live in Dubai, UAE, and the first instinct was to look at a Landcruiser or a Patrol, then i found that second hand seems to be pretty expensive for my budget ( i can only get 2002 or 2003 models for that) and they both look bland and poor from the inside, figured i'd go then for an xterra offroad edition 2008/9
I looked at many and was waiting for the perfect bargain.Then my best friend who owns a 2004 RR and whom i frequently go with for dune bashing in it along with other groups of friends convinced me of one, yet the space was still not too convincing....
Then it hit me, i can get a cheap Disco II for a good price, and round we went looking for one...
The only clean ones ever came in nasty colors, like sky blue, or pistachio green, which i wouldn't be caught dead driving them, and the others were in bad conditions...
I klnow that all Disco 2 2003-2004 models have a 4.6 Litre V8 and the 2004 comes with diff lock.
NONE of them here came with those options, all were 4.0 and no difflock which puzzled me, so i called Rover UK and they did not have an answer, the dealer here couldn't figure what engines came on them earlier except 4.0.........this threw me off the disco 2.
Then i looked for a RR as the final solution, and prices were varied, and then i looked at the LR3 ( you only see them here with british mums driving kids to school with them)
and i fell in love, after doing my research and seeing how capable this vehicle is, i set my mind to it and nothing would change that.2 weeks of searching and waiting and an AD pops up on the wensite am looking at, still fresh, i had seen a couple earlier which had cracked dashes , hanging roofs covers, torn leather seats etc....
but this, this was just PERFECT, owned by a managing director who never even knew what options he had....
next day, the car was mine....:) 2006 , silver with tan leather 7 seater done 90,000KM with a full service history and free maintenence and warranty until november 2011. :)

now after checking the car it was due for its 100,000 KM service now, and i did notice many of the issues, like the lurching , the hood sensor alert,and the engine had a small oil leak in it, i tried it offroad briefly and noticed the bushings are nearly dead, lots of knocks while gng on small bumps ( garage entrances and little gravel here and there)....
i made a list of everything that needs to be done so they can service it and fix it at the dealer :
steering wheel airbag little peeling
hood sensor,alarm gng off
drivers armrest not working correctly
steering wheel knocking, bushings.
alignment
engine oil leak
rear brakes squeal when in reverese and give a sort of metal tone like a faint fan in the back.
and the lurch.

Anything else i might want to check or add to the list?

Byt he way here all the cars always come with full options, like i have the adaptive lighting and the HD package ( spare tire is 255/55/19 , yet to go under and check for the rear diff lock to confirm),cooler box etc...
sound system is mind blowing, bluetooth works and sounds perfectly on my HTC desire, and i could ask for nothing more....

any further advice or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated...

My wife loves it and now is eyeing to drive it whenever she can :)
I am absolutely in love...nothing like i have ever driven before....

cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... I will copy this to the LR3 section so you can get a better response.

Geotrash

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading your post, Rhazer. Welcome to the forum and to the Land Rover family. I love my LR3 too.

You pretty much found the most consistent trouble spots with these rigs- bushings and rear brakes, though usually the culprit is the electric parking brake.

Dave

Rhazer

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading your post, Rhazer. Welcome to the forum and to the Land Rover family. I love my LR3 too.

You pretty much found the most consistent trouble spots with these rigs- bushings and rear brakes, though usually the culprit is the electric parking brake.

Dave

Great, lol....ill tell them to have that one checked out too just in case, i dont use the EPB at all by the way, most roads are level, i just make sure there is no forward/backward motion when i put it in N, and if so, i just go to P.....
only in extreme cases do i use the Parking brake, from what i read here i know it can cause issues, so i prefer not to use it as much as i can.....have been reading non stop nearly for 2 days on the sticky LR3 problems so i can avoid them and i am still on page 22 :s

plus i dont need to fix everything at the dealer and miss something out for my wife to later complain if she feels like driving it....i just want to know i got things right, then am taking this baby to the desert to test it, though my front tyres are pirelli scorpions zero 111 V M+S ( new) and my rear are GY wranglers 111...need to change the GY ASAP...

itll then go to polishing, leather cleaning, and the finally the LEGAL 30% tinting....

THEN i can sleep at night......hehe

:)

zaohua768

Reaction score
Great, lol....ill tell them to have that one checked out too just in case, i dont use the EPB at all by the way, most roads are level, i just make sure there is no forward/backward motion when i put it in N, and if so, i just go to P.....only in extreme cases do i use the Parking brake, from what i read here i know it can cause issues, so i prefer not to use it as much as i can.....have been reading non stop nearly for 2 days on the sticky LR3 problems so i can avoid them and i am still on page 22 :splus i dont need to fix everything at the dealer and miss something out for my wife to later complain if she feels like driving it....i just want to know i got things right, then am taking this baby to the desert to test it, though my front tyres are pirelli scorpions zero 111 V M+S ( new) and my rear are GY wranglers 111...need to change the GY ASAP...I live in Dubai, UAE, and the first instinct was to look at a Landcruiser or a Patrol, then i found that second hand seems to be pretty expensive for my budget ( i can only get 2002 or 2003 models for that) and they both look bland and poor from the inside, figured i'd go then for an xterra offroad edition 2008/9
I looked at many and was waiting for the perfect bargain.Then my best friend who owns a 2004 RR and whom i frequently go with for dune bashing in it along with other groups of friends convinced me of one, yet the space was still not too convincing....

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do we block someone or something from posting?
ie:zaohua768?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???

why did he repost and recompose what i posted?????

oh...could be a bot???

Yep, it's a bot - his signature is for whatever product the company is shilling.

Welcome to the LR3 family - sounds like you picked up a great vehicle.

With respect to the parking brake, we use ours several times a day with no issues; our climate differs significantly (from -35 C to +35 C each year, but usually more moderate, and few very long hot stretches). I've replaced the rear brakes myself and initially forgot to loosen the parking brake and was struggling to get the discs off - even took a couple of good swings with a nice heavy sledge at 'em - when I realized the issue I thought I'd likely broken something, but after loosening removing and re-installing everything worked properly.

Rhazer

Reaction score
Yep, it's a bot - his signature is for whatever product the company is shilling.

Welcome to the LR3 family - sounds like you picked up a great vehicle.

With respect to the parking brake, we use ours several times a day with no issues; our climate differs significantly (from -35 C to +35 C each year, but usually more moderate, and few very long hot stretches). I've replaced the rear brakes myself and initially forgot to loosen the parking brake and was struggling to get the discs off - even took a couple of good swings with a nice heavy sledge at 'em - when I realized the issue I thought I'd likely broken something, but after loosening removing and re-installing everything worked properly.

hehe, good you dint bust anything, I am loving it more and more, but am trying not to drive it as much as i can until i send it to the service, its very tempting!!!

and the amount of space you can get inside, we decided to go pick up some furniture today that we ordered yesterday, and we loaded up the truck with 8 dining chairs and still had some space left for my 1.5 meter long tool bag :)...;although rear view visibility went down to zero :)

about the parking brake, i still prefer not to use it unless i need it....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo