New to LR3's have mileage questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have been looking towards an 04' Disco or 2006 or 2007 LR3. What mileage can I expect to get with an LR3 and do they require premium gas too?

Has anyone ever used Powerchip (covered in the Disco forums) for LR3's to upgrade the ECU's?

Thanks!

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 (at least the V8, which I have) requires premium.

So far I am as pleased as punch with mileage - 16-18 in town, 18-20 in highway or backroads driving. Last weekend I got over 21 average for a full-day trip up and down mountains in southern WY and northern CO. I haven't done a pure highway run yet, but I'm guessing 21 or better if I can keep it under 75 mph.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking the LR3 'recommends' premium gas. With that being said, I've talked to people who've run lesser grades with no problem. I run premium in mine and generally average between 15-18mpg in town. I've averaged 20-21 on a long road trip keeping the LR3 at about 65mph. If you live at elevation (colorado etc) you don't necessarily have to put 91 in your tank, you can get away with 89, due to the density differences of air at elevation and sea level.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha!

14-15 around town.
only 17.5 while loaded up with 5 people on a 420 mile round trip, 350 highway at 75 mph and then around town sightseeing over this weekend.
I've done better when trying, but not over 18.5 on a short, all highway run.
Don't believe the computer, calculate it yourself.

YET, AutoWeek this issue reports getting 18.7 combined actual mpg.

Go figure.

stopsucking

Reaction score
Regarding type of gas...based on current gas prices here in SoCal I've tried a few tanks of mid-level unleaded. So far, no issues but you definitely notice a difference when accelerating from a stop. Much more sluggish for sure.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking the LR3 'recommends' premium gas. With that being said, I've talked to people who've run lesser grades with no problem. I run premium in mine and generally average between 15-18mpg in town. I've averaged 20-21 on a long road trip keeping the LR3 at about 65mph. If you live at elevation (colorado etc) you don't necessarily have to put 91 in your tank, you can get away with 89, due to the density differences of air at elevation and sea level.

89 is pretty hard to find though - in Colorado Springs we only have 85, 87 and 91.

In general, gas mileage has been discussed *multiple* times. The extra 20cents per gallon for premium seems like cheap insurance - that is only a 5% adder on a $4 gallon of gas. If you drive 15,000 miles per year and get 15mpg (we avg around 16-17 in mixed driving), that is 1000 gallons per year. $4,000 with premium, $3,800 with regular - or less than $4 per week extra. Not worth it to me on a $50K car.

And I don't know about your LR3, but mine specifically says Premium Only:

5b1c8071c43f4ca495291981588797f9

-Rich

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 SE inside of the gas door states "Premium Unleaded Fuel Recommended" there is no "Required" listed on my decal. (perhaps a difference in years issue?) I've had previous vehicles which have had the "required" statement though. Agreed, it is hard to find 89 around the Denver area as well, but I've been told by the dealer you can put 87 in, and still be fine. I personally can't attest to the statement, as I said, I still run 91 when I fill up. :)

Last edited:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 SE inside of the gas door states "Premium Unleaded Fuel Recommended" there is no "Required" listed on my decal. (perhaps a difference in years issue?) I've had previous vehicles which have had the "required" statement though. Agreed, it is hard to find 89 around the Denver area as well, but I've been told by the dealer you can put 87 in, and still be fine. I personally can't attest to the statement, as I said, I still run 91 when I fill up. :)
Very interesting - I wonder what changed.

Good to know there are more Colorado folks on here!

-Rich

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 9 mpg in the city and get 21+ mpg on the highway.

Hollywood LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trick to getting good MPG is to use the auto stick and start off in 2nd gear and shift up ASAP I get 17 to 19 MPG in the city during rush hour also coast to a stop and try not to down shift to much.

Cheers J.T.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo