New to me 2018 Disco 5 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCJDB

Reaction score
I bit the bullet this week after lurking and looking at Disco 5's for a little while. I'm fairly newish to the Land Rover brand having owned a LR4 Landmark for the past year and a half. I fell in love, but was always interested in a little better road manners and mileage in order to get to the offroad exploring we want to do. I actually didn't want a Discovery, I really wanted a Defender. Test drove a few of them, thought I'd wait it out for a used one and the prices came down. Then I really started to look at our use case and what the LR4 had that I loved (such as the Tailgate and real folding seats) and saw that it really just wasn't available in the Defender and I'd have to wait for the 130 and probably a 6-figure price tag that was out of the question.

I purchased a 2018 TD6 HSE Luxury on Monday and drove it 800 miles back home. 25mpg at 80+ mph, no effort going through the mountains, 450-500 miles per tank all equal exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to reading through the posts here to see what I'm in for, but so far this thing is great and exactly what we were after! The only thing I missed in looking at the car online before going to get it was the heated windshield option. I saw cold climate pack and thought I was good, but it was actually the cold climate comfort pack which is all the interior heated goodies, but not the windshield for some reason. Living in the snowy mtns that's a great feature and I'll miss it. (any one know if you can add it after the fact?)

Upgrades over time I'll be looking to do are: Black wheels in 19" or 20", Goodyear duratracs, FrontRunner roof rack, LED light bar, maybe a winch if we get that serious. It'll be towing a boat and in time a small travel trailer or offroad specific trailer (Boreas or TetonX or the like)

Oh and yeah I know the rule... pics or it didn't happen. Cheers!

IMG-8129.jpgIMG-8130.jpgIMG-8133.jpg

StoneTrader

Reaction score
I bit the bullet this week after lurking and looking at Disco 5's for a little while. I'm fairly newish to the Land Rover brand having owned a LR4 Landmark for the past year and a half. I fell in love, but was always interested in a little better road manners and mileage in order to get to the offroad exploring we want to do. I actually didn't want a Discovery, I really wanted a Defender. Test drove a few of them, thought I'd wait it out for a used one and the prices came down. Then I really started to look at our use case and what the LR4 had that I loved (such as the Tailgate and real folding seats) and saw that it really just wasn't available in the Defender and I'd have to wait for the 130 and probably a 6-figure price tag that was out of the question.

I purchased a 2018 TD6 HSE Luxury on Monday and drove it 800 miles back home. 25mpg at 80+ mph, no effort going through the mountains, 450-500 miles per tank all equal exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to reading through the posts here to see what I'm in for, but so far this thing is great and exactly what we were after! The only thing I missed in looking at the car online before going to get it was the heated windshield option. I saw cold climate pack and thought I was good, but it was actually the cold climate comfort pack which is all the interior heated goodies, but not the windshield for some reason. Living in the snowy mtns that's a great feature and I'll miss it. (any one know if you can add it after the fact?)

Upgrades over time I'll be looking to do are: Black wheels in 19" or 20", Goodyear duratracs, FrontRunner roof rack, LED light bar, maybe a winch if we get that serious. It'll be towing a boat and in time a small travel trailer or offroad specific trailer (Boreas or TetonX or the like)

Oh and yeah I know the rule... pics or it didn't happen. Cheers!

View attachment 20703View attachment 20704View attachment 20706
Looks great! I had the same 21” wheels and swapped them out for 20” wheels with Nitro Terra Grapplers.

I bet the heated windshield could be added on and coded into the computer by the dealer. I’d ask them if they can handle something like that.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redbourne Wheels (https://www.redbournewheels.com/) -- aftermarket wheels (including black ones) exclusively for Land Rover vehicles. The web site has a wheel configurator where you can see how they'll look on your Disco, right down to the vehicle colors that were available that year. I pitched the stock 20" x 8.5" wheels for 20" x 9.5" Redbournes (including the spare), which were a better fit for 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (no vehicle lift and no clearance problems). You can order them from Amazon.

Rock Sliders3.jpg

flyingdog

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride.. I love my 2017 HSE TD6 as well. I have Lucky8 18" wheels on mine.
Enjoy

PCJDB

Reaction score
Cool, I'll take a look at offerings from Lucky8 and Redbourne!

I'm curious as I look at 20" LR black wheels, they seem to be insanely expensive. Any thoughts on a good place to look to swap to get the costs down?

Planning on headed to the dealer to ask the heated windshield question and may include a few other of these questions as well. Never really went to the dealer with my 2016 since it was out of warranty, but now it's a whole new world.
Redbourne Wheels (https://www.redbournewheels.com/) -- aftermarket wheels (including black ones) exclusively for Land Rover vehicles. The web site has a wheel configurator where you can see how they'll look on your Disco, right down to the vehicle colors that were available that year. I pitched the stock 20" x 8.5" wheels for 20" x 9.5" Redbournes (including the spare), which were a better fit for 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (no vehicle lift and no clearance problems). You can order them from Amazon.
Looks great! I had the same 21” wheels and swapped them out for 20” wheels with Nitro Terra Grapplers.

I bet the heated windshield could be added on and coded into the computer by the dealer. I’d ask them if they can handle something like that.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't compromise on wheels or tires and good wheels aren't cheap (unless you can score a used set from a private party). When I ordered mine from Amazon 3 years ago they were $360 each but that included free shipping and no tax (at the time) so the total was $1800 (which, coincidentally, was what I also paid for the Lucky8 Rock Sliders). I was very glad I ordered five because the style I ordered (Bashford) has been discontinued. If I only had four and one got damaged I'd have to replace the entire set with something different. Besides, if you have a flat, you don't want to be driving around with a donut.

For off road use, you should stay away from soft-cast wheels of the tirerack.com variety, and go with quality castings, forged alloy, or steel. Steel would be the most economical choice and I found these online -- https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/j...ure-monitor-will-not-work-when-fitted-us.html but they're not compatible with TPMS and shipping costs from the UK (I didn't check since I'm not in the market) might cancel out the price advantage.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Agreed, I find what you stated to be quite reasonable. I'd get the black LR 20" wheel, but anywhere on Land Rover's site they want almost $1000 a piece. Through a refurbished site, they still want $600 per... so that's definitely steering me away from the LR option unless I can trade/swap/etc... I took a look at Rebourne in detail last night and like a few different options so thanks for the heads up there. Otherwise, for real 18" offroad options, it looks like it's compomotive (no TPMS), Tuffant (may or may not fit calipers based on model), or I saw Black Rhino wheels on another discovery in person yesterday, but didn't love the look.

Either way, it's just fun looking at what the options are to start planning :)

LassenLandy

Reaction score
Congratulations on your selection; I’d say you have great taste but I’m a bit biased. I have a 2017 TDI that I’ve had for 2 years and 30k miles, my favorite truck ever. (I also had a 2007 LR3 before this one, got tired of pouring fuel through it!) FWIW I have the heated windshield; while it’s nice I don’t think it would be worth the cost to install (if even possible). I just switched to 275/55 20” General Grabber AT-X’s with the Proud Rhino 1.5” lift rods, great upgrade.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Nice! I'm loving it so far as well. "Pouring fuel through" was one of the main reasons for me to upgrade to the diesel as well. I've put duratracs on a few vehicles and love them, but have heard great things about the general grabber too! Do the lift rods change the ride much? Guessing I wouldn't even feel a difference in also going from 21 to 20" wheels and a larger sidewall.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Got around to replacing wheels/tires to start the Overland-ish build up.

20" RRS wheels with 275/55/20 Duratrac's. Loving the look now!

Before/After pic

Attachments

• IMG-8725.jpg
    IMG-8725.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-8722.jpg
    IMG-8722.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads