New vs Used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creddfltswap

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently decided on purchasing an LR4 over a Range Rover Sport. It's somewhat hard to find the LUX in Galway Green though. I found a barely used 2010 with 10k miles for $52k. That seems rather high to me, when I can get a brand new one for $5k more. Does the LR4 generally go for MSRP? I'm not expecting invoice, but even if they go for MSRP the used one seems extremely inflated. Basically, should I spend time trying to talk down the 2010, or just get a 2011? And what price is the norm for 2011 LR4s? Thanks for your help, I'm moving over here from the S2000 community. Quite a change.

weingarm

Reaction score
On a new 2011 LR4 I got $3500 off MSRP back in January of this year (ordered from the factory). Now that it's later in the model year cycle, I'd expect you could do better than that - perhaps $4500 off MSRP or better depending on how eager you are to negotiate. You'll have better luck towards the end of a month as well, as the dealers want to pad their sales numbers for the month.

The point is, NO - you shouldn't pay anywhere close to MSRP on a new 2011 LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently decided on purchasing an LR4 over a Range Rover Sport. It's somewhat hard to find the LUX in Galway Green though. I found a barely used 2010 with 10k miles for $52k. That seems rather high to me, when I can get a brand new one for $5k more. Does the LR4 generally go for MSRP? I'm not expecting invoice, but even if they go for MSRP the used one seems extremely inflated. Basically, should I spend time trying to talk down the 2010, or just get a 2011? And what price is the norm for 2011 LR4s? Thanks for your help, I'm moving over here from the S2000 community. Quite a change.
Hello creddfitswap,

Welcome to the group! You are correct, it can be tough to find the exact color combination in some areas, but I recommend having the Land Rover dealership expand their search or use the internet to locate a vehicle. I have had friends buy new cars remotely and have them shipped and were very happy. It can definitely mean getting exactly the car you want.

In my personal opinion, I think the used one seems a bit high to me. I would go with a new one myself. You will find that different people are getting various deals on their new LR4s, it just depends on the dealership, how long it's been on the lot, and how aggressive and receptive the bartering goes. I got my LR4 for $3,000 below sticker and I have an HSE with Climate Comfort and Heavy Duty package. We are coming to a great time to discuss buying an LR4, as we are approaching the 2012 model year and there will certainly be left overs on the lot.

Hopefully I did not ramble too much, but I would definitely go for a new one and expand your search for Galway Green in the model/trim you want. If you are more open to colors, then you likely have more bartering power to lower the price. It may be a bit harder if you are absolutely firm on a particular color, etc. As you will see, many people on this forum were set on a certain color, but ended up with a different one once they started looking.

Keep us posted - best of luck!!!

-David

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordering from the factory is always cheaper, as a dealer doesn't have to pay any floorplan fees.
On in-stock new units, if a good negotiator, one could expect what is fair, around $1000-1500 over invoice. That allows the dealership to make average profit, and also keep you in good graces with your future service department. Trust me, sometimes it makes sense not to nickel and dime. If you are a very tough negotiator (and are willing to damage your relationship with the dealer for a few bucks), you indeed might get your price @ 500-700 over invoice, that's around $4k off

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordering from the factory is always cheaper, as a dealer doesn't have to pay any floorplan fees.
On in-stock new units, if a good negotiator, one could expect what is fair, around $1000-1500 over invoice. That allows the dealership to make average profit, and also keep you in good graces with your future service department. Trust me, sometimes it makes sense not to nickel and dime. If you are a very tough negotiator (and are willing to damage your relationship with the dealer for a few bucks), you indeed might get your price @ 500-700 over invoice, that's around $4k off
This is a great point and one that I heard before. As I said in my post, I got around $3,000 off which was a pretty simple debate. I probably could have received more, but I wanted to remain in the good graces of my dealership. This is really important if you only have one dealership in your area. But, each dealership is different I guess.

Best of luck!

creddfltswap

Reaction score
Well, Land Rover of Portland is telling me they only sell at MSRP. I can believe this, as it looks like they're the only LR dealership in Oregon, and any cost savings I may find at a dealership in WA or CA will be wiped out by the fact that I have to pay sales tax there, whereas I don't in OR. It looks like they don't really have anyone to compete with, so they can do as they wish. Good business model, I can't really blame them. I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty set on the Galway Green, and I don't mind paying a bit more for it. Thanks again for all your help.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Land Rover of Portland is telling me they only sell at MSRP. I can believe this, as it looks like they're the only LR dealership in Oregon, and any cost savings I may find at a dealership in WA or CA will be wiped out by the fact that I have to pay sales tax there, whereas I don't in OR. It looks like they don't really have anyone to compete with, so they can do as they wish. Good business model, I can't really blame them. I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty set on the Galway Green, and I don't mind paying a bit more for it. Thanks again for all your help.
You should special order one.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sales tax= $2.5-3k discount, based on other states' taxation rate.
Also, as you mentioned, your dealer controls the market.
I would explore if an out of state dealer might sell you a car, and not charge any sales tax, since your car would be registered/titled in OR.
Something to check with an F&I guy

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got mine from LR of spokane. They also have a Boise dealership that you can look into.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99