No More Goodyears!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
I just put nitto grapplers on my LR3 and I know its been said but WOW what a difference. The truck now drives straight down the road and it doesnt want to go left and right under braking. I had the alignment done before the tire change also.

Everyone says change out the crap stock tires. But the change is much more than I hoped for. I might actually let me wife drive my FFRR and keep the LR3 for myself.

The dealership should just put different tires one when you buy the truck.

I AM STUNNED!!!:biggrin:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my wife another car and I drive both!!!!

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have the alignment done after you place the new tires on... Generally speaking..

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
I know, the truck was in for scheduled maint. and the tires were not ready till the next day.

still lovin the change though

Karen Ampeh

Reaction score
I got rid of two of my Goodyears 19 today. One of them OEM went flat on highway with 21K miles, I had to fix urgently. I called the dealership and asked for something besides Godyears and they said they had only the Perellis or Goodyears, they were quite a bit cheaper, But I like the Perellis better so far (after about 7 miles only). A bit lopsided looking, with new Perellis on the front and the original Goodyears on the back. Next decision is to replace the other two with Perellis too or Nitto or something else.

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
remember on these and most AWD cars/trucks it is recomended to replace all 4 tires at the same time when u switch brands or style because of changes in size, even if the tire is marked the same ie255/50r20 it may be different from a different mfg.

this will completly throw off the truck and can cause damage.

good luck!

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife had the umpteenth flat in a Goodyear tire on our 05 LR3 (70k miles) this morning. Between two complete sets of Goodyear tires, we ran Pirellis, which were great. Better in snow, quieter and smoother on dry pavement. But our LR dealer refused to put another set of them on because "they wear out so fast." True, but the Goodyears get zillions of holes in them and wear/sound funny and cost twice as much. I think I'm gonna have someone put Pirellis on and then have LR align them. Does anyone know why the GY's get so many nailholes? Didn't happpen to the Pirellis and doesn't happen to my car.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my '08 LR3 early last year, the dealer "threw in" a set of Toyo Open Country 255/55R18 tires. They're about the size of the Nitto's I ran on my '05 and I actually like them every bit as good. This has been an awful winter for mud and I've spent a lot of time in "mud ruts" mode in low range and have gone a lot of places that people in 1-ton pickups with M/T's on them couldn't/wouldn't go. Several times I've had to start up snow packed slopes from a dead stop--the Toyo's just handled it with zero drama.

I've got the same speedometer problems I had with the Nittos (i.e., 75 mph on the speedo is really 69 mph over the ground), but I've started keeping a hand-held GPS unit in the passenger cup holder to see how fast I'm really going.

David

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the GY's get so many nailholes? Didn't happpen to the Pirellis and doesn't happen to my car.

The Goodyear Wrangler HP's are just so bad, they produce bad karma, which in turn, attracts premature wear, nails, scalloping, flatspots, etc...

I like Goodyear as a brand, but that tire on this truck is embarrassingly bad.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the alignment is concerned, are there specific tolerances? Can any tire shop do the work or must I go to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4