noisy gearbox & leaky master clutch cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsreiter

Reaction score
I have a 1995 D90, Manual 5-speed, 3.9 L. V8.

The gears change smoothly, but when the gearbox gets hot, on the highway, especially when cruising at a constant speed, I'm getting a high pitched whine from the gearbox area. It tends to go away if the engine load increases or decreases, but it's very noticeable while cruising. Is this related to the backlash issue with these gearboxes? Any chance it's coming from the drive shaft?

Other problem: hydraulic fluid dripping out of the clutch pedal box. On my old Series III, I also had this problem, and had to replace the clutch master cylinder. Is this a known issue on Defenders, and could it possibly just be the gasket between the master and pedal housing? Does replacing the master clutch cylinder on a Defender involve, like on the Series III, removing the driver side front quarter panel?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally not real familiar with the Manuals, but gearbox noise - I would start by changing the gear oil to synthetic.

Sounds like a bad master cylinder, maybe a good rebuild would help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4