Non-dealer electronic installations can void warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

24Hours

I didn't find the following mentioned in previous posts, so here's my public service statement:

So now that I had some time off, I was going to finally have the rear-view camera installed by an independent shop (not the dealer) and the rear image would be shown on the NAV screen. While this is not hard to have done, it does require that the wires be spliced into since there is no plug-n-play system for the LR3 (unlike the RR, which is fibre optic). It's a darn good thing I didn't have this done on the landie.

I spoke with the company that the area Land Rover Dealers use to install the entertainment systems. When I purchased my LR3 I asked for the RSE option, but I didn't ask for one with the "gaming feature", which would have been smart as it would have allowed for aux video inputs too. So now I get this guy on the phone to talk about getting the DVD player replaced and an aux jack accessable for my new IPOD video so that we can play the kids movies through the RSE.

Well, the punch line: the guy told me that splicing into the NAV wires for a backup camera would void the ENTIRE LR WARRANTY!!! I still think that is BS as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act placed the burden of proof on the manufacturer (or dealer). But I can just picture this: each time my washer fluid tank pops a leak (yes it has), or each time the cheap plastic gas door clip breaks, or worse yet anything that is expensive but still covered under the normal warranty would no longer be paid for by LR until I proved that something broke as a manufacturer's defect (along with a lawyer). That's a risk (of costs) I cannot take since the car always seems to have something, even if they are small items.

So, I recommend that folks be careful with any electical alterations, like the one that hooked the DVD player into the NAV... that will void the warranty as per the LR outsourse person I spoke with.

Cheers.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you say, Magnuson-Moss puts the burden on LR to show that the modification caused the failure. Same with maintenance items.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, BS... in the US, there is no way it can "void the entire warranty"... he's a bit paranoid. The specific failure has to be caused by the modification or change.

On a side note, remember that your local dealer gets paid for every warranty repair by Land Rover. They don't do it for free. They will generally not reject warranty work unless it's obvious you've done something evil and they can't get credit for the replacement parts and labor.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't, nor can it void your whole warranty. That won't happen. However, any electrical gremlins escpecially with your NAV, A/V, and even things related to your NAV via the network could get you into trouble. If you are afraid that if your engined has a seal let go or a bearing sieze, it will be covered. Just don't fry the ECU or other control devices.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM