Opinions on the rising cost of gas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about rising gas costs? How much does it take to fill your LR3? What are the costs of gas in your area? Does anyone have any tricks to squeezing those extra miles outta your tankful? I've always had sorta a "heavy" foot but i've slowed way down to the point where grandmas are passing me on the highway...lol . My LR3 has never gotten more than 13 mpg and thats with driving slow in the city and the speed limit on the highway with cruise on. Any Ideas?? Curious to see what everyone else has been doing. As of today 5/3 gas in my area is 4.00 for regular and 4.25 for super

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over $4.60 in San Diego. Glad the LR3 is NOT my daily driver.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now in Tampa we're at 4.20/gallon. I fill up every 3 days if not more bc I drive for work sometimes 200 miles each day. (33k miles each of the last 2 yrs)

So I recently bought a motorcycle to save on my running around town expeditions lol

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.92 here in Jackson MS.

I keep the LR3 tuned up and fuel system clean (Seafoam) so I get always get 15 to 17 in the city and 22 on the hwy. I know these numbers are high compared to others, but land is dead flat around here and I am a slow driver and I try to accelerate slowly. Never over 2,500 RPM on takeoff. I do this when gas prices are low also so it's not a big change for me.

Just an idea I always go with, since fuel weighs around 8 pounds per gallon. If I am going to just cruise around the city and not HWY driving I never fill it up completely to cut back on the extra weight.

But on a separate note, and I say this jokingly, if you can't afford the extra $15 to $25 to fill up the tank, you should probably trade for something else. The LR3 is designed to suck money out of your pocket and the fuel mileage is one of the smaller costs of ownership...

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a thirsty beast. I don't think about it too much now, after going through this a few years ago.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
It is a thirsty beast. I don't think about it too much now, after going through this a few years ago.

You can say that again! I have an 06 V6 and its one helluva thristy beast. I can almost watch the gas gauge go down. I cant baby this vehicle because its sooo much fun driving it the way its meant to be driven. HARD. It handles like a Mercedes on the back roads I drive to/from work everyday with lots of turns and hills so I guess I should take it easier to save a little $ in the long run. Oh well, you can't take it with you when you die.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try towing a boat too every weekend! People laugh at me when i pull into the gas station with lr3 and boat lol

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got a commuter car to save money on fuel, but also to save miles in the LR3. Wish we didn't have to, but I figured if I bought a commuter that got 30+ mpgs for around $5000, it would pay for itself in gas savings in 3-4yrs.

J.D.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are paying around $4.50 around the Bay Area. About $100 to fill up the beast.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.92 here in Jackson MS.

I keep the LR3 tuned up and fuel system clean (Seafoam) so I get always get 15 to 17 in the city and 22 on the hwy. I know these numbers are high compared to others, but land is dead flat around here and I am a slow driver and I try to accelerate slowly. Never over 2,500 RPM on takeoff. I do this when gas prices are low also so it's not a big change for me.

Just an idea I always go with, since fuel weighs around 8 pounds per gallon. If I am going to just cruise around the city and not HWY driving I never fill it up completely to cut back on the extra weight.

But on a separate note, and I say this jokingly, if you can't afford the extra $15 to $25 to fill up the tank, you should probably trade for something else. The LR3 is designed to suck money out of your pocket and the fuel mileage is one of the smaller costs of ownership...

Please share your secrets..lol I've tried the seafoam thing and still can only manage 12.5 on average. I am running the 285 cooper LTZs people have told me that plays a big part too. How often does this car need a tune-up? Right now I'm at 78000 miles - and still runs like a champ.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72