Opinions on the rising cost of gas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this litle tidbit in, I read another post that said something about using gras gravel snow setting instead of normal, i've tried that and actually went down in mileage... I also tried sport mode with no difference maybe because i'm not shifting when I'm supposed to. I thought about getting my software upgraded i've read the transmission is alot smoother... anyone know roughly how much the dealer would charge for just upgrading the software? Also anyone have any improvement using the k&n filter as opposed to the stock one?

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ordered a K&N and it hasn't arrived yet. After reading reviews after ordering, I decided to not use it. PM me if you want to give it a go.

The tip on checking those exhaust manifolds is great, thank you!!

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ordered a K&N and it hasn't arrived yet. After reading reviews after ordering, I decided to not use it. PM me if you want to give it a go.

The tip on checking those exhaust manifolds is great, thank you!!

With the K&N you are going to hear the pros and cons from both sides, but I can tell you this. If your air sensor goes out you can send it in to K&N and if it's their fault they will cover the replacement cost.

In my opinion, if you leave too much oil on the filter you are asking for trouble no matter if its a Land Rover or a Yugo. I've always ran the filters and have never had a problem. If you don't want yours, PM me with the price and I might buy it from you.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty good point about them replacing your sensor if it goes out, seeing as that was one of my major concerns, and one of peoples biggest complaints. Of course, you'd be out of luck for a week or two while it gets sorted, but at least they offer that assurance. I had actually considered calling them and quizzing them prior to installation.

I am sure everyone would be interested in your general feedback on it as well, pros and cons.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way I'll be ordering a filter, none of the autoparts stores around here carry a thing for Land Rovers... or I can just go and get ***** by the dealer, no thanks. If there's any chance my sensor would be harmed I'll just stick with the stock filter.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just measured my stock filter and will contact AEM today and see if they make one the same size. I would much rather run a dry filter in any vehicle than a K&N. AEM doesn't list LR as a make they support, but surely there is another vehicle out there that has the same size.

For anyone interested, these measurements are of the filter element itself, not the sealing flange.
11-1/8" x 5-5/8" x 2"D

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AEM does not have a filter for us. He said the only other one is the K&N and surprising made a strong argument for them. Still, I'd rather not fool with the oil and take any chances.

J.D.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$4.25 here in Michigan. Mileage getting slightly better now that things are warming up. Replaced the air filter last fall with a Mann and it helped. Ran an interesting experiment this past weekend. This is my wife's daily driver (stay at home mom). I keep the avg mpg on the display all the time to keep us thinking about it. Well, she consistently averages 13.8 or so with mixed driving. I reset it Sat morning and we drove probably 150 miles over the week end with me behind the wheel. With mixed driving I was able to squeeze 16.1 mpg out of the LR3 (06 V6 SE). Now, I worked really hard at it, slow starts, coasting to stop, trying to time lights, etc. Just trying to make a point that those things do work. My wife didn't really want to discuss it. Hmmm.....?

Rover junkie

Reaction score
I don't want to sound condescending but the answer is not in driving easy or messing with your vehicle, the answer is in the voting booth! Vote that communistic freak out of the white house and all his tax ******* liberal environmental terrorist buddies out of congress and that might fix the problem. Check your facts, the federal government has ran off 7 oil rigs in the gulf in the past 6 months, shut down a refinery in Texas because of a stupid lizard that lived there, denied Shell the permit to drill off the coast of Alaska 2 weeks ago, and just informed the oil refineries last week that they would lose their subsidies and tax breaks this year. China, India, and brazil all have oil rigs in the gulf but American companies cannot drill there. We are giving brazil 4 billion dollars a year to fund their oil explorations but spending twice that to prevent it in the US. Obama promised us $6 gas 2 years ago but no one listened and voted for him anyway so if your one of those, quit complaining, he's doing what he said (that's a first). I'm spending $150 a week in gas but I'm gonna keep burning the gas and destroy the environment (if it was possible) just so I can see all those puny little liberals get their ******* in a ***! PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!

ar_ken

Reaction score
I'm getting about 15.6 MPG... not bad consider I'm running regular gas. I rarely drive fast, except when merging on the highway, and I coast at around 110-120 km/h range.

Hopefully with the nicer weather, the MPG will steadily improve.

P.S. I did manage to get about 20 MPG on a extended highway trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72