Park Brake fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting an error whilst starting my Disco 3. Parking brake fault, any suggestions?

It may be that your eBrake module may need to be reset by the dealer. Did you change brake pads, or have you used your D3 to wade through water?

Vinny

bonnettoboot

Reaction score
Whatever was the resolution here, the park brake problem is huge, read one of my comments about this dangerous and common fault
Hello Antti, By dolly I mean we raised the front and fitted the dolly under the wheels, we then raised the back with the recker and towed it in. As for the problem, many responses offer good information on replacement, BUT can anyone pinpoint the cause? We could not use the emergency release on this car as the heat from the drum/disc had melted the cable inner plastic housing seizing the left cable at the drum, even if we had cut the cable it would not have released the shoes!. We have repaired the cable, we have also stripped the module, it looked brand new, we tested the motor it works, the gearing was all OK we lubricated and tested it and it operates the cables! The owner said he sensed nothing wrong, the vehicle seemed to drive as normal and no lights lit up on the dash, yet it is clear from the result that the shoes were full applied. The owner says to just replace everything but I said we cannot assure him that it will not re-occur. This is a very serious problem, i have spoken to an owner whose LR was totally destroyed by fire which was found to have started at the handbrake mechanism!!! I look forward to discussion.:hello:

Jschneiter

Reaction score
I had the same problem and had to bring my 2008 LR3 to the dealership. Twice, they cleared the warning lights and twice it reappeared. After the 3rd diagnostics performed by them, it turned out that the CONTROL MODULE had to be replaced because it had SHORT CIRCUITED because water had gone into it. Turned out that it is supposed to be SEALED and water TIGHT.

I am fortunate that my dealership was very methodical in helping diagnose the problem and they pinpointed it finally to a defective module. It apparently is very hard to access, so it took several hours in the shop for them to finally replace with a brand new module. Now it works like a charm!

I would recommend that you tell your maintenance man to check the module and tell them of my experience and resolution to the problem.

Vince

I had this happen.. Water got into it and the dealer advises that it is my fault, not a warranty repair.. Just now.. This switvh and the decent control swith and the parts are over $600.. Does this sound right? I said to him that I would think that these switches should be water proof.. and he said that because my wife left the sun roof open during a rain storm we had to pay for it?:albertein

Vizmobile

Reaction score
After the 3rd diagnostics performed by them, it turned out that the CONTROL MODULE had to be replaced
Vince

Vince,
Do you recall the price of this repair? A local repair shop told me that my 2006 LR3 SE is having the same issue. Its also starting to short circuit into a transmission fault and HDC fault.
Many thanks,
Karen

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a nasty grinding sound when applying the park brake this morning (while stationary.) I got the Park Brake fault message on the screen as well. I know it's not the brake switch as I recently replaced that to resolve the pre-Christmas tree-lighting of my dashboard. I shut the car off and the message went away so it's not coming up unless I try to use the park brake.

Yes, I've recently had the truck in maybe 6-8" of wetness, either snow or water while doing a mini-offroad test. Thoughts?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a sound that sounds like a howling bantchee....then it's your EPB Actuator.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, it does sound like a banshee. To my ears, it also sounds a lot like $800 flying out of my wallet. Any idea what that might cost?

Trynian

Reaction score
Get it adjusted or do it yourself, I had that and all my shops said the actuator needed replacing.

I decided to adjust it myself using Bodsey's brake bible and it went away.

Worth the try.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't adjust the EPB shoes and you continue to hear the banshee noise when using the park brake it will eventually end up costing you the actuator if you seize it or strip the gearing.....according to the LR specs you are supposed to get the brake shoes adjusted regularly and after a prolonged wading session.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, it does sound like a banshee. To my ears, it also sounds a lot like $800 flying out of my wallet. Any idea what that might cost?

About a 1000$. It has no be calibrated using the computer to set the actuator. Just had it done in January. And it takes 4 hours min.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM