Possible to upgrade me HSE basic 240 watt HK stereo to l7 one at dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sammydtd

Reaction score
For some odd reason, my LR4 HSE has every option except the surround camera and the Logic 7 stereo. Shouldn't the L7 be standard? I have the normal Harman Kardon 9 speaker system with 240 and don't really care about the surround capability of the L7, but do I have some missing speakers that I can upgrade for example?
Can the dealer agree to something like this?

Thanks in advance guys

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The surround camera system I believe is only on the HSE Lux-package. Your HSE sounds like it isn't a Lux-package. As for surround cameras, be glad you don't have it. I have read nothing but complaints about it. Cameras going blank, breaking, not working at all... it's just a gimmick (impresses your friends for about five seconds) and more electronics to break.

As for the L7, I have the standard HSE and L7 was an option, the L7 only comes standard on the Lux-package. If you have the non-Lux, the dealer isn't going to pay for it, not sure why you think they would? Anyway, if you can upgrade it through the dealer, I'm sure they'll do it for a fee. But your money would be better spent on an aftermarket system.

Now, if you do have the HSE Lux-package, I believe you're supposed to get the surround cameras and the H7 as standard. So if you have the Lux-package, I'd ask why you don't have them and how they can compensate, and why your LR4 got so screwed up.

Land Rover LR4 (base)
Land Rover HSE (7-seater w/some light options)
Land Rover HSE Lux-package (loaded minus the DVD package and some other stuff that’s $$$)

Last edited:

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 2010, Surround camera was only available on HSE Lux PLUS trim level. 2011 is little different.

I actually have the surround camera and although I do have problems, it's actually quite useful. What most people don't realize is the the rear view on surround camera system is very much different then standard review camera. First, it's got the moving guide lines and projects your reverse path but because image is digitally processed in surround camera versus analog in regular system, image is much more correct, no more fish eye wide angle lens look and guide line is very accurate and useful when reversing.
This system is one of reason I got LR4 instead of Lexus GX460 I was considering and I am so glad I insisted on this option.

The issue with this system is caused by the cable design and LR finally switched the supplier of cables so we will see if it will get fixed this time.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just turn my head around when I'm reversing. I trust my human mind.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the screen and using guide lines doesn't mean i am not trusting human mind and trusting machines instead. Relying entirely on those self parking feature on latest Lexus or Toyota would be.

Fighter jets have heads up display unit showing guide lines to guide the altitude etc and to aquire target. These system is meant to aid the human ability not to replace them.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the backup camera guidelines are only available with the surround cameras. I love that feature. OK, call me a woman driver.... but I've never been good backing up and gauging the size of the car and those are a great help.

I haven't used the other surround cameras too much yet, but I had gotten them because I thought they would come in handy when we go off-roading, especially the side cameras. We haven't gone off-roading yet so I'll know how useful they are later in the spring/summer when we are ready for our first off-roading adventure.

Last edited:

Sammydtd

Reaction score
The surround camera system I believe is only on the HSE Lux-package. Your HSE sounds like it isn't a Lux-package. As for surround cameras, be glad you don't have it. I have read nothing but complaints about it. Cameras going blank, breaking, not working at all... it's just a gimmick (impresses your friends for about five seconds) and more electronics to break.

As for the L7, I have the standard HSE and L7 was an option, the L7 only comes standard on the Lux-package. If you have the non-Lux, the dealer isn't going to pay for it, not sure why you think they would? Anyway, if you can upgrade it through the dealer, I'm sure they'll do it for a fee. But your money would be better spent on an aftermarket system.

Now, if you do have the HSE Lux-package, I believe you're supposed to get the surround cameras and the H7 as standard. So if you have the Lux-package, I'd ask why you don't have them and how they can compensate, and why your LR4 got so screwed up.

Land Rover LR4 (base)
Land Rover HSE (7-seater w/some light options)
Land Rover HSE Lux-package (loaded minus the DVD package and some other stuff that’s $$$)

I guess you're right, mine is somehow in the middle...it's an HSE with the RSE and seven seater option, extended leather, heated seats...but no surround and L7. I don't want the entire system upgrade (L7 surround option), bit is there a way they can just add the rest of the missing speakers, aren't the speaker locations just simply empty now??

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you're right, mine is somehow in the middle...it's an HSE with the RSE and seven seater option, extended leather, heated seats...but no surround and L7. I don't want the entire system upgrade (L7 surround option), bit is there a way they can just add the rest of the missing speakers, aren't the speaker locations just simply empty now??

I guess you could, but it would require a new amp (see H7 amplification specs), wiring for the extra speakers (taking everything apart including the rugs/panels, etc.) and any other technical needs for upgrade to H7. I'd assume it would be pretty expensive, especially though LR.

If I was you, and from the sound of things, you really want a much better audio system, then I'd just fit a new aftermarket system from a professional audio/installer. Pretty much anything aftermarket, higher-end, will be better than the stock H7 system... and if you're willing to add more speakers/wiring etc. and pay for it, you might as well just upgrade to something awesome! I may do this myself.

Or, you can just upgrade the amp (under the passenger seat) to something far more powerful and exciting (keep the speakers you already have) and see if that'll suit. You'd be REALLY surprised what an amp can do - even to a six speaker system. And since the standard system already has plenty of speakers, I'd bet it would work out quite nicely and sound fantastic. It's a much cheaper route. The only thing I can see being a set-back is the entire system is proprietary and cannot handshake with aftermarket amps/etc.

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cont is correct with the proprietary handshake as the connection between the HU and the harmon amp is optical, i believe. I had my aftermarket system start at the amp to a sound processor to an aftermarket amp.

johnnie

Reaction score
cont is correct with the proprietary handshake as the connection between the HU and the harmon amp is optical, i believe. I had my aftermarket system start at the amp to a sound processor to an aftermarket amp.

OU Grad - I'm looking at an aftermakert mod to my factory LR4 stereo. What did you go with for the sound processor and aftermarket amp? Also, did you updgrade the speakers and if so, what did you go with for those.

Thanks.

Johnnie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4