What (not) to have the dealer fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc_v01

Reaction score
Hi all -
Back in October I purchased a 2012 LR4 HSE LUX, Galway Green, with Vision Assist, HD pack and theoretically a CPO warranty from an out of state dealer. Love the truck, the first I've ever owned. But now it's "Service Required" and unfortunately I've amassed a list of issues and now need to decide on a local dealer for service. But my experience with dealers actually fixing things with quality repairs is limited to say the least - sometimes I've found things never to be the same! Looking to see if I should place any of these on the ignore list to not open a can of worms, possibly have someone else/myself do it?
  1. Water leaks. Out the top of the windshield on the passenger side, and the airbag plastic tab on the passenger side A-pillar. Sunroof drains? Obviously this is a must fix, although I'm guessing this involves a level of dis-assembly I'd rather avoid.
  2. Low fuel lamp. The thing gets such horrible gas mileage I've burnt out the low fuel warning lamp. 10MPG often here. (80%/20% city/highway). I think I can only go 150 miles or so before the light comes on. I liked having it because I'm not used to filling up that often and the reminder was helpful. OTOH, I'm guessing there is no way to change the bulb without tearing out the dash? Any reason dash removal would be required to fix the water leak?
  3. Roof rack trim on front drivers side is popped up and bent out at the leading edge with the windshield. I have the short roof rails in back. There is a dent in the trim where it is bent out, just after it curves onto the roof. The thing is, I don't see how is it possible for something to dent the trim without denting the surrounding metal, it's recessed slightly. I feel it must have been bent when the rack rails where installed, they just pushed the front clip in and it "popped" the dent out, but now the clip has failed and the trim snapped back. No way this loose trim on the drivers side would cause the water leak on the passenger side?
  4. The driver side mirror squeals when folding out. Hopefully a simple lube job?
  5. Driver seatbelt tensioner isn't great, shut the door on the seatbelt once or twice a week. Probably will ignore this.
  6. No HD radio. From this forum I learned this should be a software adjustment on the early 2012 models, which mine is, sold a week or so before the bulletin to the dealers.
  7. No Towing software. With the Vision Assist, I should have some camera options when towing. I don't.
Any reason to avoid software updates for the last two? (Such as, it gets even more buggy?) I haven't found the infotainment system to be that stable. It's completely locked up on me twice. I've had the steering wheel controls for the infotainment be erratic sometimes as well - one button press will change the presets up or down a random number of clicks. I _think_ this is the software, not the switch, since it seems to go away after a restart?

Appreciate any feedback you might have!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99