Power mirrors sluggish. Seem to have a mind of their own.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while ago I had to stop using the autodipping mirror feature (drop down when you put the car in reverse). I know it annoys some, but I liked the feature. The issue is the mirror seems to be running slower and slower like the internal mechanism needs some lubrication. Sooo, while it does eventually dip down, it then comes back up to the wrong spot requiring me to manually adjust every time.

My mechanic told me that my only option was to replace the entire mirror assembly, which probably was not worth it when I could just turn the feature off. So I did. Now...seemingly randomly, when I return to the car and start driving sometimes the mirror is pointed in or down. It doesn't do it every time. I always use the same key to open the car. I never see it go down...

...however, somewhere along the way it is moving and I don't notice it until I'm merging lanes and need to look into it! So, yeah, kind of annoying. Once I adjust it, I'm good for the trip.

My guess is that when I unlock/start the car, the mirror is returning to the memory setting associated with the key. Since the mirror sensor lost the ability to reliably return to position, sometimes it thinks it's good, and sometimes it falsely detects that we're in the wrong place, and it is time to move. That's just a guess.

Is there an easy fix I can try first to lube the inner workings of the mirror assembly? I'm not even sure how to get in there.

Thanks!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from this, I can't find much on the issue. There must be a way to disassemble and clean / lube, but to be sure no parts will be available.

TSB# LTB00042:

Quote:
Automatic Side Mirror Dipping Feature
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Land Rover LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A300360 to 7A427985
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 to 7A999465
Equipped with memory seats
CONDITION SUMMARY:

MIRROR DOES NOT MOVE IN ANTICIPATED PATTERNS

Situation: Some sequences of ignition cycles/gear positions (involving reverse) can cause the control software within the seat module to become confused and lose the mirror memory position, or learn an incorrect driving position. A customer may complain of any of the following conditions:

• Memory mirrors are in the incorrect position after unlocking and entering the vehicle.
• Memory mirrors are not returning to their correct driving position after a reverse maneuver has been completed and the gear selector has been moved out of reverse.

• On vehicles with the 'Lazy Entry' feature enabled, the following sequence will result in the mirrors incorrectly moving to the dipped position:
> Ignition 'ON'.
> Select reverse gear - mirrors move to dipped position.
> Ignition 'ON' - auxiliary.
> De-select reverse gear - mirrors move to driving position.
> Lock the vehicle.
> Unlock the vehicle - mirrors move to the dipped position (INCORRECT).

• On vehicles with the 'Lazy Entry' feature enabled, the normal driving position may drift if the following sequence is repeated for a number of cycles:
> Ignition 'ON'.
> Select reverse gear (mirrors move to dipped position).
> Deselect reverse gear (mirrors move to driving position).
> Ignition 'ON' - auxiliary - key-in - key-out.
> Lock the vehicle.
> Unlock the vehicle.
> Key in - auxiliary.
NOTE: The mirrors may be repositioned using the normal mirror adjustment functionality.
Action: Should a customer express concern, install a new driver seat module following the Repair Procedure in this bulletin.
PARTS:
YWC500690.............Driver seat module Qty 1

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking tlt. I may have discovered some weird combination that I don't do all the time which causes this.

Driver seat module...that's probably not cheap!

angelboing

Reaction score
when this happens (often because i switch from reverse to drive before the mirror has a chance to get back to "normal" during the auto-dip feature), i just press and hold the seat memory button that is tied to the correct mirror position and it goes back to "normal". not the best solution, but it corrects the problem of the errant side view mirror. with minimal fuss and zero cost.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angelboing, I used to do that also, BUT, my problem is different now. I actually turned off the auto-dipping mirrors because it would no longer return to position. So, it isn't supposed to be doing any movement at all! But sometimes it does. Gremlins...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72