Power Steering Help Please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennbird

Reaction score
New here and a novice, but thanks in advance for any help you can give.

My 2002 Discovery SE is leaking power steering fluid badly. I added regular power steering fluid and Lucas Stop Leak. I've since heard that you're supposed to use steering fluid from Land Rover dealership.....$15.00 a pint. Yikes. Any alternative fluid to use?

I got the RAVE manual and considering a fix. I can't fine the leak. Checked the bottom
hose that appears to have some kind of clamp holding it. The side hose appears tight.

Can someone advise me on replacing the power steering pump procedure?
Any ideas on what is wrong. Could I have ruined anything elsewhere by using wrong fluid, and if I replace power steering pump what must I do to make sure it doesn't become screwed up with any residual bad fluid remaining in the system.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to power scrub the top, front and bottom of your engine around the steering pump, get it good and clean then see what shows up.
By the way Lucas P/S Stop leak is to stop internal pump and gear box leaks, not external.
You want to make sure the hoses are not leaking before you look for seals.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Mike.... 9 times out of 10 the leaks are hoses or simple replacement of the clamps.

ysaga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my old 97 disco was leaking from the power steering gear box seal ,I bought a rebuild one from ebay for $ 275 and I pay 2 hour installation on the shop $120 and stop the leak :albertein

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 steering box continues to leak healthily after 5 years - and so its strict diet of Lucas stop leak continues (i.e., it turns into Niagra Falls when I don't use Lucas); I just can't be bothered to replace the thing as it works great and I have so many other cool Land Rover things to spend my money on.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolf,
After so long I would have thought you might have read the label.
I love the Lucas products, but that one is not for external leaks, but internal seal and valve leaks.
Go buy a bottle of P/S stop leak from White Shepherd. Mine was leaking still after replacing one hose and I flushed the system and put 1/3rd. of a bottle of their product in and after nearly 3 months, I syill have a very dry pump/gear box.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolf,
After so long I would have thought you might have read the label.
I love the Lucas products, but that one is not for external leaks, but internal seal and valve leaks.
Go buy a bottle of P/S stop leak from White Shepherd. Mine was leaking still after replacing one hose and I flushed the system and put 1/3rd. of a bottle of their product in and after nearly 3 months, I syill have a very dry pump/gear box.

Hi Mike;

I am not certain I can get that stuff up here in the boonies - maybe if its available at NAPA?

Wolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM