Problems with my 2002 Discovery II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 2002 Discovery II.
The car has been having problems with a strong vibration every time it is cold in the morning or when I start it and put reverse or drive. It feel like if the car is going to turn off when the vibration starts. Also when this is happening the Service Engine Soon warning light goes on. I have taken the Disco three times to the Dealer´s but the first time they did not even checked the problem. The second time they said it was a fault on a cylinder and this caused the remaining 7 cylinders to work harder and that caused the vibration. And the third time they said it was a faulty injector.
Can any of you guys help?

I'm getting really desperate because my Disco is almost new, it has les than 13 000 miles on it.
Any one know a good Land Rover mechanic not to far away from El Paso?
Thanks

C

campbell

Is it a misfire? Find a dark garage and run it with the hood open, and door so you don't exfixiate yourself. Look for light flashes from the plug wires. I have the same thing occurring with mine.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you happen to be working on plugs/wires before it happens?
Do check stuff at night - wrongly routed wires or faulty wire will cause all sorts of weird and wonderfull things.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait! The first time they did not even check it!!! That ticks me off! It only takes 2 minutes to hook up their little computer, and ONLY $40 to tell you what the computer says.

I would take it to a autozone and get the generic read out. If it is a fuel injector, you might be able to save it with some stuff called 44K. It is hard to find, but is the only real good stuff!

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Slam said:
Wait wait wait! The first time they did not even check it!!! That ticks me off! It only takes 2 minutes to hook up their little computer, and ONLY $40 to tell you what the computer says.

I would take it to a autozone and get the generic read out. If it is a fuel injector, you might be able to save it with some stuff called 44K. It is hard to find, but is the only real good stuff!

Good tip about the Auto Zone.

The sad story with my discoverys is that I bought them in Mexico. Im a Mexican citizen and Before moving to El Paso I could only buy mexican Cars due to dum mexican importation laws.
So by buying the Cars in Mexico this means that the cars had a Mexican Land Rover Warranty and they have to be sent to a Mexican Dealership.
The worst thing is that Land Rover in Mexico is going banckrupt. They started with 20 Dealers two years ago and now they only have three. The main problem is that Land Rover in Mexico is like buying a Porsche Cayenne Turbo it's outrageusly expensive compared to US Land Rovers. So this in the end means that since it is very expensive there are not many land Rovers circulating. As a result of this the lasting three dealerships have inexperienced mechanics that only know how to make tune ups and have lots of trouble with the diagnostics equipment.
Now my only mechanical resources are forums like this one wich I think is fantastic :biggrin: . And looking for a good Mechanic in the El Paso Tx area.
Also if there is any one in the forum that lives in Albuquerque NM and has visited the local dealer, please let me know how good are they.

Thanks for all the cool tips.... trust me I will try all of them jeje. :proud:

Last edited:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer about the warranty. Just a heads up, 44k is over $20 for a little can. That is the only stuff I know of that can really help injectors.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Well I tried looking for the sparks but nothing happened.
I think I will take it to get diagnosed at the Autozone and if that dosen't work I will have to take it to Albuquerque to the dealer.

By the way any pointers on what problems to look for while buying a preowned Range Rover?
Regards
JR

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you know, you are going to have to get the codes from somewhere else. I don't think they know what the codes mean. There are a few on this website. Good luck.

D

desmo118

At Bushducks.com you can find a Land Rover mechanic in your state. It's not for dealerships. It's for the family owned mechanics. I've found one in Oregon from this website and they do a great job at about half the price of Land Rover.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Update on Problem with my disco.

Still have the problem, but havent had the time to take it all the way to the Land Rover Albuquerque NM dealer. In Fact Mexican Land Rover Mechanics came over last week reseted my ECU and replaced some spark plugs, aparently problem was solved, but a few hours after they left the problem returned :frown:
And yesterday after having my disco Parked for about half hour, when I got back in to it several minutes later the engine coolan overheated with no particular reason.

I will keep you al Posted.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM