Problems with my '97 4.6 HSE... laundry list!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

FordCrusherGT

Hi all, this is my first post here. I just purchased a '97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. The truck has 61k miles on it and is aesthetically in immaculate condition (almost) with zero rust. I haven't even taken delivery yet (that will be on Saturday) but a friend of mine has picked it up. Unfortunately, he's given me a list of problems with it. I'm looking for some associated guidance on a few of the issues. Here's the list, followed by questions and details:

1) Oil leaks (front and rear main seals, timing cover, valve covers)
2) Transmission shifts hardish
3) Sunroof headliner sagging
4) AC doesn't work (but compressor spins)
5) Rear axle seal leaks (for one axle)
6) Transfer case leaks
7) Power steering appears to leak slightly (stuff on top of engine is slightly damp)
8) Electrical gremlins! Fuse 10 fail, Fuse 20 fail, Sunroof Not Seated, Alternator Failure.
9) Radio display functioning poorly (radio also needs code)
10) Trip computer functions poorly (claims average mpg of 12.6 and average speed of 24 mph)
11) Front anti-roll bar end link is broken.

Obviously I have to buy a new end link. Are there any upgrades here (polyurethane, etc.) or should I just go with the factory ones?

The trip computer I would generally believe is probably due to it being reset at a poor time, and was probably idled a lot and not driven much during that time period, but I have no idea how this trip computer works. The radio needs the code, and I was going to go to the Land Rover dealer, but turning it on doesn't result in the display being highly visible. Apparently there are indications that it is turning on, but you just can't read the display. Any ideas on this?

Electrical gremlins: It says Fuse 10 and Fuse 20 have a failure (however that goes away immediately after turning on). However, all the electrical functions work. It says the sunroof is not seated, but the sunroof is closed and seated properly. I believe that warning goes away, but I am not certain. When my friend started the truck today it said Alternator Failure, but that went away and it's charging at 13.7 volts.

Power steering is self-explanatory, as are the leaks, and the sunroof headliner sagging.

The AC compressor is spinning, but apparently the AC doesn't work. I am going to have to look into this myself. Hopefully it is just low on charge. He said that both temps were on LO and the fan was on max. I told him to try putting the fan on the minimum setting and see if it cools, and also to put his hand on the low side lines to see if they are cold. If so, it probably needs a can or two of freon. Alternately I assume there is a blend door. Any info here for me? I've got plenty of AC experience so I'm sure I'll figure it out, but if there is a problem with the blend door that may do it.

And I think the tranny needs a fluid/filter change...

Oh, and finally there is no text around the steering wheel buttons. Can anyone tell me what each button does?

So, obviously I need to do a lot of work on this thing. I'm disappointed because only one of these issues was disclosed (the Fuse 10), and now the seller is nowhere to be found. Gee, what a surprise. My friend who picked up the truck didn't inspect it thoroughly (despite my instructions) and I am annoyed at him about that, obviously, but doesn't change the fact that I have this thing. The good news is that the interior and exterior are still in overall excellent shape, especially for being 7 years old. It's got 61,000 miles on it, and everything does work (except for whatever is wrong with the radio and the AC). Plus there is absolutely zero rust on it. Really I just have a lot of small issues to deal with. I still want to keep the thing as I feel I have overall gotten a good deal, but that I have more work ahead of me than I'd anticipated. I always do my own work, and have worked on these things some professionally while I was a Jaguar mechanic. The main things that I could use some advice on are the electrical issues, as well as which part suppliers you all would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I would have responded sooner, but been busy this weekend.... Drove 10 hours Sat in my Disco... that can wear anyone out.

1) Oil leaks (front and rear main seals, timing cover, valve covers)
- Normal, don't worry to much, kind of like a harley.. if it stops leaking it must be out of fluids.

2) Transmission shifts hardish
- Could be fluids, but more than likely it is the adaptive ECU that has learned how the last person drove it. Disconnect the battery overnight and it will relearn how you drive.

3) Sunroof headliner sagging
- this is also normal on LR's, a little spray adheasive will fix this. (small hole in headliner and spray, roll it out with a small roller)

4) AC doesn't work (but compressor spins)
- Sounds like either low of 134a

5) Rear axle seal leaks (for one axle)
- maybe a bad seal, or could just be minor leaking again... leaking is normal

6) Transfer case leaks
- Normal... just make sure you keep it full (check in monthly)

7) Power steering appears to leak slightly (stuff on top of engine is slightly damp)
- very normal, replace the clamps and issue may go away, also try Lucas transmission fix (remember the LR PS uses Transmission fluid)

8) Electrical gremlins! Fuse 10 fail, Fuse 20 fail, Sunroof Not Seated, Alternator Failure.
- May just need the ECU reset or you have some corrosion issues (did you run a carfax)

9) Radio display functioning poorly (radio also needs code)
- Needs code any time your remove the battery. Call your local LR dealer and ask them for the code, in some cases they may expect you to drive up to prove you own the vehcile (write the code down, you will need it)

10) Trip computer functions poorly (claims average mpg of 12.6 and average speed of
24 mph)
- That sounds correct if all they have done is drive around town real slow... but don't expect much better than 18 MPG if you get that much.

11) Front anti-roll bar end link is broken
- Replace

As far a places to get parts the list is huge, but for RR related item start here and learn alot.

http://www.rangerovers.net

F

FordCrusherGT

Well, last night my friend delivered the thing. In short, I had two friends look at it, and neither of them were correct on the condition. It's actually about halfway in between what each one said. Last night and this morning my fiancee and I came up with a true list of every little problem that the thing has. A few of them we managed to fix already, but I'm going to address the more major ones here, and highlight the ones that I intend on taking care of immediately.

1) Bad end links on the anti-roll bar in front. Obtain new links, replace.

2) Some idiot replaced the factory 18" wheels with 16" wheels. This actually doesn't bother me, but now my spare is a beautiful 18" with a brand new tire on it. I intend on obtaining a 16" wheel like what I have as a spare and sell the 18". Any suggestions for places to get a cheap 16"? Or anyone interested in doing a trade?

3) AC is low on freon. It works, but is just low. I'll add some leak detector and more R-134a.

4) The radio display is completely *****'d. It's not the backlights, those all work fine. However the display itself is not functioning. Any solutions to this? Can I purchase just a new display and reinstall that (I am quite competent with electronics) or am I going to need to obtain a whole new radio?

5) Some of the backlights in the center console are broken. Along with this, some of the selection lights (i.e. telling you the driver's heated seat is on and which vent selection you have) aren't visible from a normal seating position. Ideas?

6) The front ash tray won't open, it's stuck closed. Ideas?

7) Some of the trim pieces are missing (like the plastic one above the center rear view mirror) or else in bad condition (like the front B-pillar trim pieces). Any recommendations on good places to get these bits?

8) I see the little holder on the top of the dash that looks like it's a place to throw a cell phone or something. Is that supposed to be glued down?

9) The glove box doesn't fully latch closed and is misaligned. Do I just have to bend this into proper position or is there some piece that tends to wear on this?

10) The cruise control is not functioning properly. Looking under the hood I see the cruise control bellows. There is a vacuum line that comes off of the bellows and goes to a little box beneath the bellows and has a T-valve in the middle. The box beneath has two vacuum ports (one below the one that is used, which is just open). The T-valve has one port that is just open on it. What is the correct configuration here? Before I figure out if something else is wrong with the cruise I'd like to get this fixed properly. Also, where the hose that is there is attached to that little box, there is a mini-vacuum line from that same connection, and I can't see where it goes but it appears to be connected to that same box. Configuration?

11) I need to get plugs and wires for this thing. Is there an upgrade here?

12) The driver's side nozzle for the windshield washer isn't spraying at all, and the passenger side one is just squirting a stream of water, rather than spraying a mist. Fix here?

13) The airbags all around air fairly rotted, and will need to be replaced before too long... but there are other, more pressing matters at hand.

14) The light for the mirror on the driver's sunvisor doesn't work

15) Still complaining about fuses 10 and 20... I have no idea what those are supposed to be for.

16) 3 out of the 4 doors have a click in them when opening. This looks to be the pin on the truck for the middle hinge-type thing. Do I just need new pins?

In addition, we would eventually like to do the following additions:

1) Rubber floor mats for the front, rear, and cargo area
2) Roof rack
3) Brush guard
4) Winch mount

So, any suggestions there would be appreciated!

Sorry for such a long post. Really, this thing is in very nice condition and I am happy both with the way it drives and with the interior and exterior condition. I really love these vehicles, always have, and my fiancee loves it as well, which is more important. We're still happy with the overall purchase, it just needs some work to get up to par. I suppose the most pressing issues are the radio, end links, and cruise control, along with the plugs/wires. After that will be the other cosmetic issues, and then finally we'll be ready to do some of the upgrades. That said, we'll probably go ahead and do some of the upgrades simultaneously since none of them will be particuarly difficult or time consuming.

delfinnyil

Reaction score
check fuses if it's ok but you still have message for faulty fuses uoy need new
BeCM with is about 1500$ +labor

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99