Q's about 92 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Howdy again everyone,

Now that I've had this Rover for awhile, there's a few things I cannot seem to figure out. Some trivial, some more important. Any help, links or whatever would be appreciated.

1. The heater blower motor only seems to work on high. I can only find one fuse. Am I missing another location for a fuse? Are there 2 motors.. Or, in short, what's wrong with the thing?

2. The manual seems to say there's a Cd player, I cannot find one. Was that an option?

3. The idle speed sometimes is very high, around 2k. Other times it's real low. When it's low sometimes the alternator belt squeals (it's new). I tighten the belt and that seems to help. Even seems to help the idle speed some (weird).

But I have a hard time believing the belt gets stretched all the time so I'm wondering if the alternator is going out. When it starts squealing I turn all the power stuff off and it seems to stop. BTW, The old belt did this too. I replaced all the belts and none of the others are stretching. I'm wondering if some bearing or clutch on the alt. is going out and when extra load is put on it it's starting to seize?

As always, thanks.. some day I hope to know enough to help others here.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
1 - sounds like a bad switch
2 - CD player would be an option
3 - Have the Alt tested otherwise I would say possible fuel pump issues.

Lemontin

Reaction score
So is the switch replaceable or do I have to get a whole new controller thingy (the whole unit that sits in the dash)?

Lemontin

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question. I found the switch (I think)

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC5436.cfm

But before I buy this, is there a way to test it? I'll check to see if all the wires are connected first, but other than that.
Anything else that might cause this?

Oh, and the ever cold wifey asked about heated seats. I know the switch is not there, but do Rovers, like some cars, actually have the seat heaters installed but the switches are not there unless you get that option when new? If so, can I retrofit the switches and make it work? (she hates cold seats).

My old Nissan Pathfinder was like that. The heaters were installed on it, but no switches unless that option was purchased.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Some do have them, not sure on the older RR, easy way to check... look where the switches would be and see if you have a couple of wires that don't plug into anything... if this is the case, the odds are you have heated seats. If not aftermarket seat heaters are not hard to install and only cost around $100 each side.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Well it keeps getting weirder.

The fan blower seems to work on the vents on all speeds, but not on heat (floor) or defrost.

If the selector switch is over to the right, blower motor is on high or off. If I put in on a mix of outside/inside, then the blower motor works at all speeds but only for the vents in the dash..

What the?

Gotta love a quirky car..

Thanks Joey for the info on the heated seats..

garcia

Reaction score
the blower problem - under the decker panel - yes a s="% to remove the panel under thew windscreen, you will find a fixed resistor wound on a ceramic tube with four take of points ie speeds likely is corroded - whilst at this you can also service/grease the wiper assembly my private email [email protected]

variable tickover if hot might be the amplifier fitted to the coil on the wing or loose sensor on the crank at the back of the engine by the bulk head

Lemontin

Reaction score
Garcia.,,

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. sounds above the ability of my arthritic hands..

Maybe when it's warmer I can try that. Too dang cold for my hands to function now.

thanks..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112