Radio secrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mwillems

[copy of my post]

Ok, I have the HSE with the high-end radio and just found out how to get into setup menu - and this is NOT as per the manual (what's new, even the tech manuals are out of date! :)

Here's how:

- Radio off
- Turn radio on (using the left hand knob)
- within 5 seconds, press the right hand knob; HOLD this pressed fown for 10 seconds

You now get into menu 1; turning the knob takes you to the other 2 menus.

Menu 1: serial nmber and type number of the radio (and VIN, but this is blank)

Menu 2:
1 RDS 0n
2 REG Off
3 AF Off
4 TA VOL +4
5 MKT USA (can be made JPN, EC, OTHER)
6 PTY31 On

Press the number to change the option. Caution, setting market to JPN etc erases all your preset memories. Ask me how I know this :)

Menu 3:
LOUD On
AVC 5
TRANSIT
PERSON 1
KEY 1

***** Question: what is REG, AF and PTY31 (see menu 2)?

--Mike

M

mwillems

d**n, I love Google. The explanations below are New Zealand specific but the functions are general. Unfortunately these are not functions supported by any AMerican/Canadian FM stations I know of. Darn!

AF
Alternative Frequency Radio Stations transmit radio programs on several frequencies at different locations because of the limited FM coverage - for example, National Radio is on 101.4 in Auckalnd, and 101.0 in the Waikato. The AF code tells the radio receiver all the available frequencies for the selected station. The AF function ensures that the optimum frequency of the selected station is set automatically. This is sometimes referred to as "seamless" coverage, and will eventually allow travelling throughout New Zealand without having to hunt for your current station. Generally, you would switch on AF and leave it on.

REG
Regional Program Certain programs broadcast by radio stations are subdivided into regional programs during certain periods. The REG function ensures that a regional program received is not replaced by a program from another region due to better reception and works in conjunction with AF. Note, as at Dec 2003, radio stations have yet to utilise this function in New Zealand.

PTY31
Program Type Some RDS stations can be selected according to the type of program they transmit.
For example: News, Sports, Music, i.e. Jazz, Pop, Country etc by scrolling between the program types. The PTY code identifies 31 different program types. Additionally, some stations change their program type during the course of the day - this is called Dynamic PTY.
If an 'Emergency Broadcast' is received, all the function mode operations are stopped. ALARM appears in the display and the emergency broadcast is heard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635