Range 19" OEM rims fit LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selden61

Reaction score
May have pulled the trigger on eBay too quickly cause the $350 for four rims seemed great. Dealer said "sure they'll fit" but I'm suspect. Anyone verify this?

Also, how long would you drive on non-matching spare if you had 4 wheeling flat? Debating extra tire purchase for spare.

cheers!

Ps frick'en love my fourth rover, the LR4

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a spare 19" RR wheel a few months ago to replace the donut spare I have now for the same reason as I experienced a friend's LR3 tire getting slashed by a rock while we were offroading. At that point I realized I didn't have a true spare to get me out of ruts if my LR4 got stuck.

Anyway, I just replaced my 4 conti's with michelins and asked discount tires to take the best tire out of the contis and put it on the RR wheel so I can replace my spare donut. In addition, I had already asked the dealer if the RR wheel was ok to use and they said yes.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

There shouldn't be an issue using the 19" RR wheels on your LR4. Now, if you were talking an 18" wheel, we would have issues.

Driving on a non matching wheel is not a big deal. Even driving on a non-matching tire isn't that big of a deal as long as the outside diameter is the same as the others, (or extreemly close). If the tire has the same outside diameter, then it will work and not cause you any issues with the ABS, differentials or traction control system. If the tire is significantly off, it sees that the tire is rolling faster than the others and thinks it must be slipping. It will want to reign in that slipping tire byt braking it.

Also, a difference of height on the same axle will cause issues with teh differential. If one tire is smaller than the other, the diff has to compensate and spinn the two sides at different rates. It heats up the oil quite quickly if you are driving on the road with any speed. It would be fine to get out of a sticky situation, but you wouldn't want to drive it like that for a long time.

Rob

Selden61

Reaction score
Thanks! Have you actually tried the spare on the axel? All the talkabout bigger brakes makes me wonder.

What michelins did you buy.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
. . . Also, a difference of height on the same axle will cause issues with teh differential. If one tire is smaller than the other, the diff has to compensate and spinn the two sides at different rates. It heats up the oil quite quickly if you are driving on the road with any speed . . .
Hey Rob, I don't get it. Aren't all the gears in the diff spinning all the time anyway? Driving with one smaller wheel would just make one side spin marginally slower than the other. No?

For anyone interested, this is the best explanation of the differential that I've ever seen. You have to get past the motorcycle tricks to see it, but it's worth it.
Around the Corner - YouTube

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72