Range on keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what kind of range are you getting out of your keyless entry for the Disco II? With my 2000 you have to be within 10 feet or less for it to work. I changed the battery in the remote but it didn't help. Just wondering if this is normal.

zebury

Reaction score
10 feet, wow, thats far. No, serious. I have about a 3 foot bubble all around mine that i need to be within in order for it to register. It also won't work in my pocket for some reason, i have to actually take it and and mock point it at the vehicle. lol. I have a 2000 as well.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds very familiar, its nearly as bad as the Jeep Chreokee that I had, it actually had a IR remote like a TV. You had to have line-of-sight to the little bubble on the headliner.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you put the remote up next to your chin when attempting to use, you can reach a range of up to 40 feet...

And yes I am serious... place the remote right under your chin and give it a try.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid the plate in my head may cause all the disco's in the state to unlock.:albertein

meyersd

Reaction score
As weird as it sounds, the chin thing really works. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but when I demostrate it to her, she shakes her head.:bandit:

dcreekmore

Reaction score
Man I'm afraid to try that. It sounds like a blinker fluid problem. No way you are serious. I guess I will try it when no one is looking. I too have a 2000 Disco, and have always been curious about this topic. I don't count this out completely b/c I know when I touch my radio antenna the signal comes in much better. ????Intresting?????

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I have read and understand (I am not an electrical engineer nor did I sleep in a holiday inn express last night), when you place the remote near on your chin or part of you head, chin just doesn't look as odd... you cause your body to be part of the antenna.

I have read other sites, where people have soldered a wire to the inside antenna to make it longer. I have also read where people add a screw or some thing so that you can touch it, this should also cause you to be part of the antenna.

All I know is it works... maybe we should submit it to mythbusters...

***** Okay, so I searched mythbusters and found it had already been submitted, and here is the best info yet http://www.remcom.com/varipose/varipose-examples/keyless-entry.html ******

Last edited:

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just emailed Myth Busters, LOL. I wrote about the range thing and then came up with some BS stating that "I heard that you can open garage doors with car remotes" and "car remotes cause cancer". Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635