Rear gate access drop. How to disable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not do this (2013 HSE). It will, on occasion, readjust the rear suspension but it's not predictable and seems to be more about rebalancing the 4 corners than anything else. There is definitely no direct connection between weight on the rear tail gate and the suspension lowering.

I'm very confused by your comment about the hatch struts and the hatch hitting you on the head. Are you sure that the replacement struts just aren't working? I don't see what they have to do with the tail gate. Whether the truck did or didn't drop, the hatch is still the same height at the hinge so if the hatch is hitting your head, that's the problem. I guess I'm just confused by your original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took it to mean that he opens the top half of the lift gate before the Rover settles and rebalances. This leaves him less headroom than he had prior to rebalancing, so he bumps his head. Hence his question can you override the rebalancing process. But maybe we’re both confused, Troy!

Ladric

Reaction score
Talked with Gap team (IID) and they say there is no feature for lowing the rear to provide easier access. I did try it a few times this weekend and nothing happened. Ghost feature.
But something is going on and it's not like I am parking on a hill (its MN after all) and its usually after driving it, getting out and opening the bothe the hatch and the gate. It's an odd feeling to have the truck just sink a bit.

Ladric

Reaction score
Mine does not do this (2013 HSE). It will, on occasion, readjust the rear suspension but it's not predictable and seems to be more about rebalancing the 4 corners than anything else. There is definitely no direct connection between weight on the rear tail gate and the suspension lowering.

I'm very confused by your comment about the hatch struts and the hatch hitting you on the head. Are you sure that the replacement struts just aren't working? I don't see what they have to do with the tail gate. Whether the truck did or didn't drop, the hatch is still the same height at the hinge so if the hatch is hitting your head, that's the problem. I guess I'm just confused by your original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's been doing this since I got it over two years ago and the hatch structs have been leaking air. I just replaced them last week (British Atlantic) and now the rear hatch pops open fast (give you an uppercut if you don't move). The hatch now stays all the way open. With the hatch all the way up and the truck raised an inch my head just clears the door (and that metal bar that connects to the lock). So when the truck drops I will hit my head.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think some one has already mentioned, but this is most likely not a "feature" for easy access, rather just the air suspension self leveling.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you parking somewhere not level? I mean a place where, for example, the front left wheel is lower than the front right, or the left rear is lower than the left front but even with the right front, etc.

I know mine will sometimes move around after I park in situations like that.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the uniform (very slight) drainage grade on my garage floor causes my LR4 to burp a bit almost every time I get home and park. Sometimes I’ll loiter for a few seconds to try to catch it happening and see it settle in. Oddly satisfying. Or maybe not so odd for a LR guy. Everyone knows we’re not quite right in the noggin.

Ladric

Reaction score
Are you parking somewhere not level? I mean a place where, for example, the front left wheel is lower than the front right, or the left rear is lower than the left front but even with the right front, etc.

I know mine will sometimes move around after I park in situations like that.

Street parking most of the time outside the house. Like all MN streets there is a slight incline to the curb to drain the street. My right front and right rear would be next to the curb.
But other times, its when I pull into a parking lot at a trail head to mountain bike or ski when there is snow (now we have snow). I really notice it when I have the bike rack on as I have to stand between the bumper and the rack and my knee touches the truck and the back of my leg hits the bike rack so it's a little unnerving to have that movement by my legs. It's so random that I think you guys are on to it. It's settling and my system does have fault (a lot) that something is not filling fast enough.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Street parking most of the time outside the house. Like all MN streets there is a slight incline to the curb to drain the street. My right front and right rear would be next to the curb.
But other times, its when I pull into a parking lot at a trail head to mountain bike or ski when there is snow (now we have snow). I really notice it when I have the bike rack on as I have to stand between the bumper and the rack and my knee touches the truck and the back of my leg hits the bike rack so it's a little unnerving to have that movement by my legs. It's so random that I think you guys are on to it. It's settling and my system does have fault (a lot) that something is not filling fast enough.

If you have a fault, I’d have that checked and diagnosed. If reservoir is not filling fast enough, you could have a leak. That leak or other fault in the system could exaggerate your drop. If you have a leak, it won’t be long until you burn your compressor out.

LMNOP

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the minority, but my 2013 HSE DOES do this too, it's annoying and a little scary because my kids are always playing around back there.

Ladric

Reaction score
I only need to clear the fault when I lower or raise the the truck for some reason. If I stay at normal height then she stays clear of errors. My guess is I do have a small problem with the suspension.
Next time it does it I will jump back on this thread and report.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV