Regular or high octane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I always use high octane. Dealer tells me over weekend regular is fine and thats all they use for all cars on the lot?

Last edited:

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel

I use 89 octane occasionally and see no difference in performance

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always run Premium. Once, I was on my way from Seattle to Corvallis, OR to watch Oregon State upset #1USC and I stopped for fuel in Portland. I must not have specified to the dude because he put regular in! I like pumping my own gas! Damn you state of Oregon! Anyway....rig ran fine, but I like the idea of using Premium.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use premium. I think I saw someone break it down, and its like $200 a year difference... assume fill up every week, US average difference between regular and premium is $0.23 right now, 20 gallons = $239.20.

Not worth the savings to me. Potential knock, reduced power...

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I allways run high test. You could get away with 87 or 89 if you are in the middle of bfe and you cant get anything else. I have been there before a few times. If they have an octane booster put some in. It is not worth the potential problems you can have by running a lower grade octane not to mention your gas milage will suffer. so look at it this way *your mpg difference is close to the cost difference so it will cost you the same in a year. There now you wont feel to bad.

*math used is not proven at all but close :)

chomondely

Reaction score
2006 V6, 67,000 miles.
I've run regular w/o incident. I don't tow nor am I in the montains. I don't floorboard so I am not too worrired about knocking. Also, note that the V6 has lower compresion than the V8

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
I have an '04 range rover and a '06 lr3 v8, I have tried both low and high test. We get better milage using the cheap stuff. About 3 tenths on average.:stupid:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a ton of threads on this board, everyone has a preference. I've run somewhere around 250--300,000 miles on regular over 6 rovers with no problem. But I can certainly see the rationale for premium. I currently run 89 for no particular reason, I guess you guys have made me feel a little guilty (and I already know I'm cheap).
How was the winter run DRZ?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The winter run was a good time we had a ton of snow knee to to crotch deep good winching fun at times

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4