Removed spare tire carrier.....now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
So I had this great idea for a sweet dual Jerry can holder. SO I removed the spare tire and secured it to the roof rack. I then removed the spare tire carrier (good thing I did, cause the areas around the studs were starting to crack).

The question I have is this- once I pulled the bolts out of the back door, I was not able to thread the bolts back into the door. Are there nuts that were in the door? I was wanting to reuse the bolts for my dual jerry can holder, but it's no looking too promising. :hmpf:

Anybody else removed the spare tire carrier? :confused:

If so then what did you do? Is there a way to pull that panelling off of the back door to give me access to the bolt holes? I'd rather not break anything unless I have to. :frown:

D

dirtyjim

you have bolts inside the door.remove the subwoofer & doorhandle trim then remove the door panel, use a trim remover tool or you will break the crappy plastic fasteners that hold the panel on.
jerrycans on the back door?i guess the people where you live actually know how to drive, unlike where i live.you could rig up the cans where they are held in with slip knots,then if someone tailgates you just pull the string & watch the fiery explosion.

D

discomike

Derek,
What do you think the total weight of your cans and holder will be? I know I am running a 265 spare and I have had to replace the tail gate latch twice. They arne't made for alot of weight either is the door striker or hinges, be careful.
Mike J.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Disco Mike said:
Derek,
What do you think the total weight of your cans and holder will be? I know I am running a 265 spare and I have had to replace the tail gate latch twice. They arne't made for alot of weight either is the door striker or hinges, be careful.
Mike J.

Well the can is gas can is 9lbs plus fuel (4 gallons should be about 36 lbs), the H20 can is plastic, so figure a pound at the most plus 4 gallons of H20 at about 36 lbs. Add in the mounting bracket and I still think I would be under 100lbs, which should be less than the spare tire and bracket.

If I decide it is too much weight I will do away with the H20 can and only run 1 can to lighten it up some.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're talking about running with fuel cans on the rear step? This is only for trail rides, right?

Might want to check yer local laws about externally-mounted gas cans.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Moose said:
You're talking about running with fuel cans on the rear step? This is only for trail rides, right?

Might want to check yer local laws about externally-mounted gas cans.

I', talking about fabbing a bracket up to sit exactly where the spare tire carrier used to bolt to the rear door. The cans would be in the bracket all the time, but would be empty except for trail rides.

I live in GA, we have no laws. :biggrin:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
qadhafi said:
I live in GA, we have no laws. :biggrin:
You are right - GA does indeed "have no laws". I used to visit Powder Springs (NW of Atlanta) about twice a year over the last 4 years. We would be driving up the road and there would be some jimmy-rigged, half-suburban/half-something-else "truck" cruising up the ditch at a good 40 MPH. He was "avoiding" the bumper-to-bumper traffic and bouncing all over the place, even hitting a bunch of small trees (little bigger than willows) didn't slow him down any. And there was a cop just a few vehicles ahead of me, just watching the guy (it looked like the cop was just laughing, as was I). It was definitely a unique way to avoid the traffic and get to the next light. :stupid:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sells it -- I'm moving to Georgia.

D

DISCVRY

For already stated reasons, mounting gas cans on the front or the back just isn't safe. Off road or on.

That said, mounting the cans where the spare tire mount used to be probably isn't that good an idea. People that have mounted a Hi-Lift there with the tire have run into problems with the door operating.

BTW - A 12 liter jerry can holds more like 5.28 gallons. Gas is something like 6.5 pounds per gallon, and water weighs quite a bit more. A plastic Jerry can full of water, is a lot heavier than a metal Jerry can full of gas. ...Even in Georgia :smile:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM