Replacement engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
So my 2011 LR4 threw a rod. After my shop tore into it, they found the sleeve, spring and rod were all missing parts. While the original plan was to rebuild the top side, now they are talking about finding a replacement motor. I'm hesitate to drop $12-15000 into a used engine, so I'm looking for remanufactured options. I've found Tapa Jaguar and Land Rover Engines in CA. Has anyone had any experience with them or their products? They sell stage 2 engines, and state they are built better than the originals, while correcting the common flaws. And the price of $10500 plus shipping to Indiana is doable.

I love my rover, and I don't mind spending the money to repair it. I've looked and there really isn't any other vehicle out there I would rather drive. I've looked at finding another one, but they are getting hard to find in my area, and what I do find has been beat pretty good. Mine is in excellent condition inside and out, with the exception of a leak in the air suspension. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Oddboy

Reaction score
I can't help you with sourcing a new / remanufactured engine so apologies for that, however I'm curious what your stance is on simply sourcing another used LR4 instead of going down the path of rebuilding an engine? Even at a cost of $10,500, you're close to 1/3 the cost of a newer (2012+ model year) used LR4. Also, does the $10,500 include labor costs?

Here's an example right next door to you in IL after a quick search - 2015 Land Rover LR4 HSE - $30,523 with 46k miles. Obviously you might want a different color, trim, and option (HD package) but I'm always focused on the financial impact long term - and rebuilding an engine is a risky prospect in my opinion. Then again, driving a Land Rover is a risky prospect in general financially speaking :p

Don't let me distract you - just genuinely curious your thought process here. You might be comfortable rebuilding engines whereas I've had two engines die on me and it was a nightmare.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These 5.0 V8 replacement engine prices seem to be rediculously high at the moment, 10k for a remanufactured engine also seems high since 10-13 LR4's with about 120k go for about 13-16k, well at least in my area.

But if you're set on a rebuild, I would suggest getting a used motor and rebuilding it yourself or having an Indy shop rebuild it with all of the updated timing and cooling components. This can be done on a budget as I and several others have done so successfully. You can still find decently priced engines at junk yards, I came across one a couple of weeks ago, cost under $1k with the core charge. This one also looks like a promising candidate: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265556020900/ plus it comes with a bunch of extras that you can resell to recoup the majority of the initial cost since you'll likely have left over parts between your original motor and the replacement. Just some food for thought. Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this after my engine seized-most likely like a slow coolant leak which I never caught, and it eventually just ran out of coolant(no warning lights). After looking at rebuilt engines, I ended up sourcing an engine from the same year(2013) RR Sport on EBay for $6900 all in(shipping included). It was a bit risky but it turned out to be a good engine. It had 84k miles, 30k fewer than my blown engine. I had it drop shipped to the shop where they swapped it out.

Last edited:

HuskerBred

Reaction score
My shop found an engine in Atlanta, total cost to replace with an engine with 100k miles would be $14500 with a 12 month warranty. Or $17k for a completely rebuilt engine from Tapa. Completely new motor without the issues common the the 5L engines.

I haven't found another LR4 within 100 miles for less than that. I'd rather have the V8 than the V6, even with the improvements in the touch screen, or anything else. And I don't want to buy someone else's problem.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The demise of my 2010 LR4 was a head gasket. The "stealership" quoted $16,000 to repair engine, which also included replacing the infamous timing chain guide and injectors. The question was what was the overall value of the vehicle with approximately 250K miles on it. What could be the next thing to go wrong? I couldn't justify the cost of the engine replacement or repair. Good luck with your decision.

Keith Hollis

Reaction score

It's not a bad package, and they pay the return freight on the core.

MDJ2015

Reaction score
So my 2011 LR4 threw a rod. After my shop tore into it, they found the sleeve, spring and rod were all missing parts. While the original plan was to rebuild the top side, now they are talking about finding a replacement motor. I'm hesitate to drop $12-15000 into a used engine, so I'm looking for remanufactured options. I've found Tapa Jaguar and Land Rover Engines in CA. Has anyone had any experience with them or their products? They sell stage 2 engines, and state they are built better than the originals, while correcting the common flaws. And the price of $10500 plus shipping to Indiana is doable.

I love my rover, and I don't mind spending the money to repair it. I've looked and there really isn't any other vehicle out there I would rather drive. I've looked at finding another one, but they are getting hard to find in my area, and what I do find has been beat pretty good. Mine is in excellent condition inside and out, with the exception of a leak in the air suspension. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.
I’m in the process of getting a new engine for my 2012. I’m finding used engines in the 5000-9000 range plus $4000 for the swap and some misc parts.

christine1125

Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 has blown head gaskets and we were told it's best to put in new engine. Has 90k miles. Does anyone know what is the best site to sell as is? We don't want to put in any more money into this vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA