Roll Call!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Alexis

Greetings to the New Forum

Hello,

Let me also present myself.

1986 Range Rover 3,9 EFi highly modified and still in progress
1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi - original

37 y / married 2 kids
Living in Old Europe Paris - France

I wish to this new Forum a long life as it is for everybody a superb opportunity to exchange ideas on our favourite and beloved LR - not only.

Alexis

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What! it seems there are a lot of "married with children" rover owners out there! So, I guess we are the "rover select group"? Interesting how we get older, formulate ideas on what is cool, and what really works, and we all ended up here! We must all have the same sickness! The only thing that will make us better is NEW MODS! Wow! every time I get out, I'm looking for a new toy to put in or on my rover...THAT IS REALLY SICK! I guess it's O.K., since we've fed the kids, wined and dined the wife, and finished our chores....What is left? I guess we could talk about the economy? NEVER! BUY MORE MODS! Talk later,........ redrover51

M

marc olivares

looks like you're of to a good start sam. looks good!
marc olivares

"just a hack with some metal and broken stuff"

M

ModRover

Hello...

Interesting group. I think I'll like the lack of big business sales/advertising found on many other pages. Just fellow Rover owners... nice.

Info. on me:
33 yrs. old
Married
Twin girls
Land Rover Mechanic (at a REAL Rover shop... bah haha -working on Series I, II, IIA, III, all Def. stuff, Disco I & II, and all Rangies... sorry, but no Freelanders)
1965 IIA hybrid (coiled, 4 corner discs, Torqueflite auto. box, 4.0L Rover V8 fed by the proper SU carbs.)
Other rides- '89 Honda TransAlp 600cc Rally V-Twin dual sport motorcycle and 2003 Kawasaki KL250G7 250cc dual sport motorcycle.
Interests- Heavily into dual sport motorcycling, WW kayaking, bicycling, playing guitar, hanging with the family, and drinking the darkest stouts!

Look forward to this group being a little different and hopefully not so judgemental and nasty of others. My deal is simple... if it's a Rover... it's good enough for me. Save the quick tongue stuff for your MATES at the pub!

Take care,
Michael
Van., WA USA

PS Hey, Slade! Mr. First Post big shot! How's Utah treating you?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 28, an attorney in Milwaukee.

Rover = 96 D1 SE with some stuff done.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ModRover said:
Interesting group. I think I'll like the lack of big business sales/advertising found on many other pages. Just fellow Rover owners... nice.

Info. on me:
33 yrs. old
Married
Twin girls
Land Rover Mechanic (at a REAL Rover shop... bah haha -working on Series I, II, IIA, III, all Def. stuff, Disco I & II, and all Rangies... sorry, but no Freelanders)
1965 IIA hybrid (coiled, 4 corner discs, Torqueflite auto. box, 4.0L Rover V8 fed by the proper SU carbs.)
Other rides- '89 Honda TransAlp 600cc Rally V-Twin dual sport motorcycle and 2003 Kawasaki KL250G7 250cc dual sport motorcycle.
Interests- Heavily into dual sport motorcycling, WW kayaking, bicycling, playing guitar, hanging with the family, and drinking the darkest stouts!

Look forward to this group being a little different and hopefully not so judgemental and nasty of others. My deal is simple... if it's a Rover... it's good enough for me. Save the quick tongue stuff for your MATES at the pub!

Take care,
Michael
Van., WA USA

PS Hey, Slade! Mr. First Post big shot! How's Utah treating you?
Hello Mike! My name is Anthony Zarola, I am a member here as well, and I really like this site. I teach fingerstyle guitar here in Crossville Tn., but I am from San Diego Cal originally. I was trained as a luthier at "Taylor Guitars" almost 30 years ago. If you are ever near Tennessee, be sure to look me up for your complimentary lesson! I have a mech. tech. question Mike, My 2000 DII has an unusual "light knock" most noticed at low speeds, under a load. It sounds like a "distant sewing machine" and is not getting worse, but is there a sympton here that these L.R. 4.0 motors show? I am at 46K miles, and bought it used recently. The dealership is willing to check it out, but I thought I would ask a pro. Thanks for joining Mike, I am sure you will be peppered with questions! My e-mail is , [email protected] or [email protected] Nice meeting you, talk later

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redrover51 said:
[snip]

I have a mech. tech. question Mike, My 2000 DII has an unusual "light knock" most noticed at low speeds, under a load. It sounds like a "distant sewing machine" and is not getting worse, but is there a sympton here that these L.R. 4.0 motors show? I am at 46K miles, and bought it used recently. The dealership is willing to check it out, but I thought I would ask a pro.

[snip]
I'm not Mike, but this sounds like the notorious sticking valve problem that the 4.0 has. I would suggest changing to a higher-octane gas, running a soot-buster diesel oil like Rotella T in a light weight for a while, and maybe cleaning the gunk off the oil pan...

Good luck!

Andy

M

ModRover

4.0L "ticking" -I sent you an email off-line n/m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not post here, so everyone can learn?

Andy

M

ModRover

learning...

It was a longish message sent.

I basically told him to have the dealership check it out as many times updates and bulletins don't get back to the owners unless they come in for the problem. I do know of a few cases of the DII having the sticky valves. Nothing like the nightmare head/valve jobs done to the DI 3.9L and some 4.0L on the earlier models.

I'm not a Land Rover factory trained mechanic. Just an old school apprentice trained that's got lots of time turning wrenches on all the model Rovers (even some SDI stuff!). Maybe a factory trained guy will pop in and give the group factory updates and bulletins reguarding specific rigs. If there is a common problem on a Rover product those guys have the info.

Take care,
Michael

PS I've also given up diagnostic stuff thru emails and phone calls as it's never the same as being behind the wheel firsthand. I've found more problems being "masked" by something completely different. I will help out if I can as that's what it's all about MATE! bah haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635