Roof cross bar suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkronik57

Reaction score
Looking to add the cross bars to my new to me LR3 to put a kayak on. Are the eBay OEM style bars OK quality-wise or should I just shell out the extra for OEM? Any suggestions or other options welcome.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover doesn't make cross bars but they do re-brand them and take more $ from you if you're willing...

Why not buy a trusted brand that will back up its product and also have more things to work together down the road. I use both Thule and Yakima for different things. Thule cargo boxes are superior and I also think their aero bars are a better design than the version Yakima offers (Whispbar) partially due to fitting on wagons with sunroofs, the Thule is a better design.

I actually use Yakima towers and cross bars on my factory tracks to hold my full length Hannibal safair rack and other gear. The aero "oem" like you mention are ok but they are very limited in how they can be used and not as strong as the classic steel bar through tower mount design whether Yakima or Thule. The Yakima or Thule also pop on and off very quickly once you've got the base set up.

Various retailers will have either brand on sale 20% off and there also some who ship free without sales tax on top of that. It ads up when these can be $100-$200 per section x2 -3 etc.

djkronik57

Reaction score
In the end, I went with the $188 eBay cross bars. Fit and finish seem fine. Sturdy and look good. Glad I saved a couple hundred bucks.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the LR supplied cross bars and they work just fine. I have thrown up kayaks, canoes, surf boards...you name it, regularly for 10 years. Only issue is the rubber insert in the top of the bar can creep out when you slide heavy loads on it. Pops right back in, though.

I don't have a custom kayak rack. I just throw the boats on upside down. I have put on 3 kayaks at one time (one on the side, tie it...then lean the second, tie it...then pile on the 3rd), but it's usually just 3.

Canoes are a little trickier for me due to the placement of the cross bars. It is really hard to get a canoe on upside-down without the bow or stern scrapping the roof. As I don't have to do this often, I just put it on right-side up. (I also have a hitch extender bar that sticks straight up from the back to hold the ass end.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM