Roof rack options for the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put a useful roof rack system on my LR3 as the OEM crosstowers just don't offer enough options or flexibility. I've always used Yakima products, but they haven't come up with a setup for the LR3 yet.

It appears that the roof "tracks" that come with the LR3 are simply bolted to the roof...appears to be just a couple of attachment points. Can anybody tell me precisely how those tracks are attached? I'd like to remove them and explore other rack options. Ideally, I'd like to know what's under the existing tracks and what's under the plastic seam covers to the right and left of the sunroof. Some manufacturers (e.g., Audi and Isuzu) put threaded attachment points under these seam covers.

Thanks

O

Outrageous

There is indeed a threaded attachment point under the seam covers, used in attaching the expedition roof rack. You can see the pdf for this installation by logging into the LR technical site:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Owners/Handbooks/Handbook_overview.htm

Then click on Owner Info at the top right which brings you to a page for selecting from owner's manuals, accessories etc. You have to sign in a second time to get these pdf's, but it's free.

S

SteveA

What are you trying to use the roof rack for? I've found that the factory cross bars are a great starting point. Due to how easy they are to move forward and backward, they allow a lot of flexibility. Many Yakima and Thule accesory mounts will fit the factory cross bars.

Stephen

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I canoe alot...Yakima and Thule make gunwale brackets that work really well. Neither company's brackets fit the wide LR crossbars. In addition, the LR crossbars aren't wide enough to support two canoes (or a canoe and two bikes, or a canoe and a luggage box,etc.).

Second, the sloped roof of the LR doesn't allow a load to be carried as far forward as I'd like. An 18 foot long tripping canoe really needs to be positioned farther forward...also makes it easier to properly tie down to the front of the LR3 if the nose of the canoe extends to the front bumper line.

While the LR crossbars look nice, and are fairly quiet, they just don't make the grade for real serious use. They are better than some OEM designs, but not even close to the versatility of the typical Yakima setup. The last Yakima setup I had was infinitely adjustable, handled every load I could throw at it, and could be removed in about 60 seconds. Plus, cross bar length could be changed in minutes if I needed more space.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would certainly solve some of my racking issues. The expedition rack makes better use of the roof, but at the expense of a lot of wind noise and marginal functionality for canoes/kayaks, etc.

S

SteveA

I have a client that kayaks all over North America and has travelled from Alaska to Key West with his 18 ft (m?) kayak strapped to the top of his Range Rover using the factory roof rail system and kayak carrier. He's never had a problem with the system at all. The kayak carrier he uses works on the new LR3. I think I would make sure and tie the front of the kayak down, but it seems to work well for him.

It seems right now at least the factory system is the only way to go. I'm sure Thule and Yakima won't stand by for too long.

Stephen

O

Outrageous

The RR track extends further forward, allowing better placement of the front crossbar. This would allow a kayak to be carried further forward on the vehicle, with less overhang at the rear. The crossbars can also be separated a greater distance.

K

KTMLC8

After getting my LR3 home last night I can see that my Yakima towers designed to grab most factory rack rails will fit on the expedition roof rack. The rails that run length wise with the vehicle. Since I have money invested in Yakmia bike rails, kayak saddles and a top box I was glad to see that this would work. Did not see anyone mention that on this thread so I thought I would add it for those considering the expedition rack.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo