Roof top cargo and aftermarket racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple more front shots, these are HUGE cases, but I like them because they are not as tall as a lot of the other large pelican options. I wanted lots of space for sleeping bags, pillows, self inflating air pads, etc.. the soft/lite stuff that can easily go up top.

I like the Pelican brand boxes. But I would prefer that they not be as tall as what you have, mbw. And as you point out, the other larger Pelican boxes don't seem to have the right shape. I'll keep looking. I am thinking something about the size of an airline carryon would work for me. I don't really want the wheels. Nor do I want the interior setup as "luggage". I just need a solid, waterproof box. I have an 18" Briggs and Riley roll aboard that holds what I need but it is luggage and not waterproof. But it was a good test of size.

Oh, and it would be awesome if I could use is as a step or even have two of them and stack them then use them as a step - or table or workspace.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Pelican brand boxes. But I would prefer that they not be as tall as what you have, mbw. And as you point out, the other larger Pelican boxes don't seem to have the right shape. I'll keep looking. I am thinking something about the size of an airline carryon would work for me. I don't really want the wheels. Nor do I want the interior setup as "luggage". I just need a solid, waterproof box. I have an 18" Briggs and Riley roll aboard that holds what I need but it is luggage and not waterproof. But it was a good test of size.

Oh, and it would be awesome if I could use is as a step or even have two of them and stack them then use them as a step - or table or workspace.

It is hard to get too low with a good sturdy rack. The rack adds many inches already, and I got the low profile one...

The 1730 isn't as tall as most cases that size..
Internal 34" x 24" x 12.5" (86.3 x 60.9 x 31.7 cm)
External 37.5" x 27.13" x 14.37" (95.2 x 68.9 x 36.5 cm)

Weight: 30 lbs

So, bit over a foot. I don't think its too tall, any shorter and I couldn't get a sleeping bag into it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what it looks like loaded up. The space fills up quick!

IMG_20141205_132505_zpsxwnm2shu.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Nice packing job! Fortunately, I would only have one or two people. It does make things simpler. For this trip I used a waterproof kayaking bag for my sleeping bag and pad and it worked great. I also use one for my hiking gear already loaded in a small duffel. I could use that approach for my other "loose" gear - which is essentially what a backpacker would have in their pack - but it would organize better in a box like this. I'll keep looking. Some might ask why I need to put this on top if it is just myself and my wife. Good questions. I/we sleep in the back. And sometimes use the rear seats along our drive. So having stuff on top clears out some room. Sometimes it may simply be overnight - putting on top rather than leaving it on the ground. I much say, though, there is more opportunity to try different things and reinvent with this vehicle than any one I have had in the past. Which is very cool.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - thanks, MBW! I have been on the lookout for a Pelican case mounting system. I was just about to start designing one myself and then I saw your post with the EO2 system (I think they need to work on their Google search keywords). I have a different application, but the idea is similar. I want to fasten one or two cases to the back of the second row seatbacks to keep some necessary items fastened down without impacting horizontal space (not much, anyway). These look like they are relatively low profile so should not impact functionality when/if I were to fold down the second row.

Going out to take measurements now - you made my week!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - thanks, MBW! I have been on the lookout for a Pelican case mounting system. I was just about to start designing one myself and then I saw your post with the EO2 system (I think they need to work on their Google search keywords). I have a different application, but the idea is similar. I want to fasten one or two cases to the back of the second row seatbacks to keep some necessary items fastened down without impacting horizontal space (not much, anyway). These look like they are relatively low profile so should not impact functionality when/if I were to fold down the second row.

Going out to take measurements now - you made my week!

Ya, it is a young company, just getting started, but the Owner/Inventor Richard Rayos is very responsive and is eager to spread the word on this system.

I am packing for 4 people, 2 adults 2 kids... so the roof space will be needed. It is amazing how much room all the bags, pads, pillows, blankets, tent, food, cooler, chairs, camp kitchen, water container, etc all take up. Also, I HATE just cramming things in without a plan or an organized system and I want to be able to access most things when the vehicle is loaded. I will have the cargo barrier in mine so that I can stack higher safely with kids in the back seats.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo