Roof top cargo and aftermarket racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tucsontom

Reaction score
When off-roading and camping - a cargo net and a bunch of loose waterproof bags,1 big bag or container set snugly on a roof top rack is a great help. Throw all your lighter stuff up there and head out. Can LR4 owners share what combo of rack and storage they have found to work best? Getting ready to purchase such a combo for an LR4. Being able to at least have the cargo bag, or box water proof is key to me but it does not need to fill the entire rack. I am leery of any of the plastic boxes - yes water proof - but 4wheeling can break those loose. At least the one I used! Share your experience! Save me from buying something twice!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used both the Urban Offroad half rack (still for sale), factory rack and now the Front Runner outfitters rack. While I'm not pumped about the loss of clearance of the front runner, it works very well for carrying our Oz tent and other stuff. The Urban rack would be great in a full length, with factory full rail setup.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's and idea:
factory rails with slots + thule or yakima cross bars mounted as needed to mount Pelican 1650 or Stormcase similar via drill-through for U-bolt attachment.

Tough, won't "break loose", waterproof, doubles as standing platform.

Here's something cool too, my 48" fiberglass waffle boards mount directly to the factory slots via DIY aluminum slot-tab, tapped for threaded rod, wing nut from above on hold-down plate. These double as standing platform if the rack isn't mounted (my Hannibal mounts such that these still tuck underneath).

There are ways you can put the things normally ON a rack directly onto cross bars on the factory rails. This eliminates the rack weight, cost, wind drag, height.

I HATE the cargo bags. Everyone I've known with them complains of water intrusion.

I wouldn't hesitate to run all sorts of routes with any of my Thule boxes but their clamps are full pincer-claw, like a logging machine. Worse case, could use a plate inside to distribute stress plus U bolts through the same slots in the box bottom used by their pincer-clamps. I have had 2 Thule up there before totaling 33 cubic ft.
-
I basically only mount the Hannibal rack for purpose of using the attachable Hannibal awnings to make "rooms" primarily over the rear but also the full 90" side.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going the Yakima crossbars with the Yakima Load Warrior basket with the 18" extension route. I'll be trying waterproof bags used for canoeing and kayaking. But the stuff I put up their wouldn't all the I,packed by some moisture. I place a layer of clear plastic sheet up and over the front and then over the top simply as a shield for a driving rain. This also gives an additional piece of emergency shelter should I need.

I just received the 18" extension for the basket and the lights and light mounting brackets yesterday. I'll be putting it all together this weekend and when it's done I'll share pics.

The number 1 requirement for me was to not have a permanent rack so my approach is different than a lot of the folks on this forum. I also have a storage lift mounted to my garage rafters that I use to support and store the basket when it is not on the truck. This also makes it easier to pack and to mount once it is packed.

ricker

Reaction score
I use a Baja Rack Mega Mule on Yakima load bars. The rack hangs from the ceiling of the garage when not in use.

David

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 78

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go! That's the same lift I have, David. Except I don' use the "platform" that came with it. I just attache carabiners to my rack. But that has some complications I had to work through.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't finished it yet, but I have some large Pelican cases, 1730 for the roof, attached with some EO2 SnapTop mounts. They are very cool mounting system. I attach the snaptop rail to the cases and then they just snap into the bottom mount rail, and have locks. I will take photos of the install once I finish it.

I have a Pelican 1634 for the camp kitchen stuff which fits along side a cooler or even a ARB 63qt freezer in the back. Then the cargo barrier 'cage' lets me pile up everything else, tent (a 10'x10' Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow 6-Person Canvas Tent, Deluxe)

IMG_20141118_155951_zps65d3bd8e.jpg

ricker

Reaction score
There you go! That's the same lift I have, David. Except I don' use the "platform" that came with it. I just attache carabiners to my rack. But that has some complications I had to work through.

Hi danr - I don't use the platform either, just the crossbars. They just slip under the front and back of the Baja Rack. I lower the rack onto my truck, give it a couple inches of slack, and slip the cross bars out from under the rack. Works great.

David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some pictures from the start of my EO2 install.

These attach to the container/box, on the underside. They have a lock, the red part is a gasket to keep it from sliding or moving.. the connection is very tight and strong even without the lock.

IMG_20150509_153052_zpsivaz9lcn.jpg

Here are the bottom rails, they attach in various ways. I had to use shorter bolts because of glass clearance.

IMG_20150509_151732_zps5dkttah9.jpg

IMG_20150509_152548_zpsehzfrnnp.jpg

These are the cases, this isnt on the EO2 yet, but I wanted to check size/placement. They will sit up about 3/4 of an inch when on the EO2 mounts. This is good because I want to cut out parts of the chicken coop flooring I use so the mounts are available but the rest of the rack is covered with flooring, so I still have a flat floor

IMG_20150509_142603_zpshm06duzc.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple more front shots, these are HUGE cases, but I like them because they are not as tall as a lot of the other large pelican options. I wanted lots of space for sleeping bags, pillows, self inflating air pads, etc.. the soft/lite stuff that can easily go up top.

IMG_20150509_142545_zpsq1rllbm1.jpg

IMG_20150509_142503_zpsmsbjxnjj.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo