Rover Rack Voyager LR4 Roof Rack modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings custom Roof Rack fans,

I am posting pictures of my Rover Racks LR4 Roof Rack Modifications—recently done for long-distance off-road driving in Africa. Seek the following FLIKR site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59137225@N07/

Here is an outline of my modifications to the Rover Rack Voyager Rack for the LR3/LR4:

1) I put plywood flooring in, and then stained and varnished it to improve the appearance and make it more dust/water resistant. The flooring addition includes a fairly (at least to me) innovative solution for mounting four fuel cans above the driver’s compartment (sun roof). The flooring is bolted to the rack where your accessory light mounting points are located, and then overlaps against the tubular steel in the rear. Because this flooring assembly is going to support the weight of four jerry cans, I reinforced it with 1.5mm steel (local fabrication) to prevent braking under load, minimizing warping, and reduce vibration under stress. It is bolted throughout and all bolting (like the four mounted for the fuel can holders) are tack-welded for ease of use (so I don’t keep dropping nuts on the glass roof when I remove things). The jerry cans are the new steel Wedco variety and the holders are the low-profile model available from expedition exchange.

2) I also had dual use jack-stand / HiLift-Jack feet fabricated out of plywood to match the flooring and mounted on the roof rack. These feet bolt directly onto the flooring from above with long-bolts and can be easily removed from the flooring due to the steel plate underneath with the usual nuts tack welded for ease of use. My shovel is fixed to the rack flooring using the hardware from Rover Racks, and the sand ladders are fixed using a combination of roof rack mounts available from OK OFF Road and my custom fabrication to bolt the whole assembly for ease of use (same deal: tack welded nuts). I am missing the hi-lift jack carrier because I am waiting for the black plastic hard case (available from jackguard) which will bolt on to the passenger side of the flooring.

3) The big innovation we fabricated were the movable/removable bolt-on assemblies I had faced with matching wood. I consider this a Rover Rack “improvement.” My overall design philosophy is for flexibility and mulit-use, with an eye for aesthetics. The original idea actually came from Rover Racks detachable bolt-on light guard assembly (what a great idea!). I did not like the prefabricated jack and shovel mounts for the side of the roof rack because I didn’t like the way they looked (I prefer cleaner lines on the roof rack rails); this along with the fact that I distrust side-mounted gear, is why I didn’t have them as part of my rack when I purchased a year ago. Yet, I really like the flexibility to either hang shovels or use the rails for tie down points if needed. The purpose of the assemblies is to provide removable locations for such uses which can be modified/changed as required (they can be fixed anywhere along the length of the roof rails or horizontal tubular steel as the shape allows it to conform to the varying height of the upper roof rack rail). I have protected the powder coat with the application of some industrial electrical tape. I would like to eventually rubberize the inside of the assembly so that it will not mar or scratch the steel tubing. Still thinking about the best way to go about that and for now the electrical tape should do the trick. There are a total of 10 pairs of assemblies: two oversize with wood facing which mount in the front portion of the roof rack (drivers compartment), four large with wood facing which mount along the second half of the roof rack, and then another four small with no facing which also mount along the second half of the roof rack. I don’t have the smaller but heavier mounts shown on the pictures, but they were used to put the shovel and hi-lift jack on the demonstration when it was ground-mounted on the bench.

Hope folks find my latest project interesting and am open to critiques/criticism,
Land Rover Joe

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

Many thanks for the compliment. There are other projects in store…just a question of time and money. I will keep folks posted as we continue to upgrade the truck here and there. You are an avid follower of this forum!

Brokenneckcp,

Good question, and the source of a lot of ongoing discussion. Check this forum for more details as folks have been investing the issue of LR4 tires in detail. To answer your question:

I bought the Goodyear wrangler 19” MTR tires just over a year and a half ago from tirerack.com . That tire is no longer commercially available…they are the best tires I could buy in 19”. I cannot get a response from Goodyear if they intend on making their new MTR in Kevlar in the 19” size or not. Although, even the tough off-road tire didn’t make a difference when I wrecked one (sidewall tear…and therefore driver fault-me!) and had to change it out. But they have been really good in all terrain thus far and very tough. And they are the best looking tires I have seen. The LR3’s which did the G4 challenge were kitted with the same tires, I believe. I would really have loved to have the 18” rims which folks are talking about—a better off-road tire and the rims look great. Alas, I am short of that kind of cash and have bought all the 19" off-road tires I currently need--so not anytime soon. Another disadvantage of the OEM 19” rims are the magnet balance weights. The 18” after-market rims use the standard balancing weights, making it easier (and less $$$) to balance the tires. Thus…I would recommend the 18” rims and an 18” tire with high tread and “suspension lift kit” for better off road performance and a very “tough” look. The bottom line is a smaller diameter tire is better for off-road applications, but we must compete for space down there with the large brake system on the LR4 & RR.

Hope this helps-

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Joe,

WOW!!! I love your LR4!!! You really have some awesome and useful modifications. I notice that you have seat covers, are those the OEM LR ones? I did not realize they fit so well, as I thought previously they were meant only for temporary placement and not to be left on all the time. I am thinking of getting some...

-David

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

Thanks-I really appreciate the input from everyone out and about.

The LR4 I drive needs to be fully-off road capable all the time, and I do use the modifications on a regular basis. Being here is a bit like South Africa or Australia, so necessity becomes the mother of invention, and innovation. But forums like this help me to think of all the details and offer a possibility to discuss pros and cons. I am always open to feedback from the field; I am sure we can do some things better. For example, while very sharp looking and really practical, my roof rack mods make the total roof loading very heavy. Can the supports withstand the weight over time? Will this cause a problem in the future…especially when fully loaded with fuel cans? This are the critical questions I ask myself about my mods and hope my LR4 doesn’t turn into a convertible. That is always the trade off with roof racks.

The seat covers are the OEM ones, and they are fitted. I would highly recommend them to anyone, as they really help to save the leather and still look good. I imagine British Parts of Utah have some you can purchase at a better price than from you dealer. They are pretty easy to install and are very useful.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM