Rover shuttered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had O2 sensors changed earlier in week. I was driving on highway and Wallace (my 99 disco 2) shuttered (almost how a person might shutter when tickled on back of neck) for about one second. Seemed like it was going to die. Check engine light started to come on went right back off. Vehicle recovered immediately. Took Wallace back to my mech and no codes registered. Should I pursue this further or could this have been the cars computer recalibrating or something. I'm at a loss.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark, have you disconnected battery when was setting new sensors? If not - that could be reason, b/c ECU actually adapting fuel mix with O2 sensors mostly at highway-like runs. So it could be suddenly discovering new sensors response and fuel mix was changing abruptly.

However it can be totally different and can be attributed to lots and lots of other things, including crappy petrol, high temperatures, sudden clog in fuel filter & etc. You name it...

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I would have changed them myself and known for sure if batt disconnected. I was I time crunch so had them done. My mech didn't seem too concerned. I trust his expertise, so I'll monitor it. Do you recommend a fuel additive/injector cleaner.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark this problem sounds similar to mine and the problem was caused by a backfire due to a sticking valve this went on for a number of weeks before the check engine light appeared

D

discomike

Mark,
Your truck threw what is called a soft code, rechecked it self and dropped it, If it doesn't happen again look at it like a form of communication from the now happier truck.
As for the induction cleaning and or additive, ya, Big improvement when done right with the correct product. Look towards the B&G line, 44 K and injector cleaning solutions or Sea Foam.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99