Second hand roof rail questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I bought a set of second hand roof rails off ebay. The full length ones. I bought a set of the new bolts and washers from LR though. However the rails did not come with all of the plastic plugs to cover the bolt holes once secured. Would there be any risk from not having these? I'm thinking water intrusion but with everything bolted down, that really shouldn't be an issue should it? I would assume water would only be getting inside the rail itself, and then draining out somewhere else.

Additionally, there are a few places along the length of the rail where it's not absolutely snug down inside the channel but the bolts are fully tightened. I'm not talking huge gaps, just millimeters. Should I tap those particular bolt holes a bit more to get a little more depth from the bolts or is it nothing to worry about?

georound

Reaction score
The caps aren’t waterproof and often break when pulling them out. I would just dab some black silicone in the holes And maybe on the bolt threads.

Musikki

Reaction score
I recently fitted a set of short Land Rover rails. A torque setting was specified for the holding bolts, can't remember what it was, but I definitely had to clean out the threads in the holes first. I remember the experience well because I broke a tap in one of the holes! No millimetre gaps on my install. Also, agree with georound, those plastic plugs are not waterproof, I guess they're just to stop gunk getting in there..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA