Shopping for first lr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D R Taylor44

Reaction score
Hello all. Joined the group as I'm shopping for a lr for my wife. Torn between two models. 1st the 07-09 range rover with the 4.2 s/c mostly because while reading on it I've seen bullet proof and most reliable used. 2nd is the lr4 hse. Shopping parts prices the rr seems like the more user friendly as far as cost of repairs but it is an older vehicle with less modern electronics. The lr4s when all done up make quite the "cute" adventure rig for my photography wife. Which one is least likely to leave her stranded though. Hopefully experience can chime in, I'm all ears.
Thanks
D R taylor

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ehh, would not use "bullet proof" and Land Rover in the same sentence unless the vehicle is armored.

Recommend 2012+ Range Rover or LR4 with 5.0 V8

Pros: great power/torque, comfy, great sound, very capable even without HD package (active rear locking differential), awesome ride, decent towing capabilities, excellent field of vision and seating position

Cons: timing chain tensioners apparently still can be an issue, coolant crossover pipe failure, front air suspension generally needs replacement around 90,000 miles or so

Look for regular service records with oil change intervals more frequent than required by owner's manual.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am more of a fan of newer JLR models in general as I believe quality/reliability/power improved from BMW ownership to Ford, to Tata.

The 4.4 and 4.2 SC also seem gutless compared to the NA 5.0 V8 (AJ133), and the 5.0 SC is on another level.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just posted our beloved LR4 for sale a few minutes ago. We have too many vehicles and sadly we have to part with the oldest one with the most mileage, despite it being our favorite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM