new member from central Illinois searching for the right LR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBWIN

Reaction score
I would be very happy to hear from someone who has expertise in these vehicles as I am searching for an older model that will be "my" truck for fun. With 3 pre-teen kids last summer, I traded in our old family vehicle (a beautiful Yukon) for a '21 Honda Odyssey that the wife picked out. I really miss having a truck now, and I fell in love with Land Rovers over the winter. So, I am currently searching for just the right combo of used model, year and mileage. I am an IT Engineer, not a mechanic by any means, but it seems if I have to have a Land Rover, I will need to learn some mech skills. I have narrowed my search to 2010-2014 LR4 or Range Rover at around 80k-115k miles with good records. If I could have it all, it would also be Galway Green or the other green they used, can't recall the name.

If anyone bothers to read this far, I have located a 2010 LR4, good price, that seems rust free and has a good maintenance record but it has 155K miles. I am wondering if that's really too high of mileage to invest in with a LR. Whichever one I get, I intend to drive it casually (not a family daily driver), but forever.

Thanks. Glad I found this forum some months ago, I am learning a lot.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As with all vehicles, buy the best example you can afford. You will either pay up front or in maintenance costs after the fact. I would recommend the LR4 as you will have more room, they also are fairly reliable when it comes to the Land Rover brand. I would try to buy one that is a southern vehicle as Rovers do rust, all the under body components will rust and if you get one from anywhere in the north it will have signs of rust already.

Give Nathan a call in my signature and I am sure he can find you the perfect LR4 and may even have one on the lot. He specializes in Land Rovers and has always taken care of his customers.

Mart

Reaction score
I have Galway Green, the other is called Aintree Green (Aintree is in Liverpool where the Grand National horse race occurs each April). With three pre-teen children, is it the 7 seater? If not, don't bother.
Also check the service history to ensure cam belt etc. has been done. At 155k miles you will need to budget in repairs irrespective of its history.
Enjoy.

MBWIN

Reaction score
Thanks Mart! It's a Lux also. I went through the carfax on this vehicle the other day. It shows the routine maintenance was done every 15K miles at LR dealers, but the the only mechanical replacement it shows is the water pump. The current dealer installed new brakes and a fuel filter before calling me for the test drive. I would describe him as an eccentric mechanic. He only sells a few classic European cars a year (mostly Jaguars) and spends most of his time doing restorations, so I gave his verbal endorsement of the vehicle's reliability more weight than I would some salesman. The glove box had some service docs and the 130,000 maintenance doc showed "recommend check timing chain" which is to be expected (to check) but does not say if there's a reason to check it other than this is a known failure point with these vehicles. I listened to the engine and it sounded like any other engine while running. No clacks or "sewing machine" noise that I have heard others describe as the tensioners being faulty. Everything seemed to work well, including the air suspension and the acceleration was powerful as hell. I guess I am not clear on what a "good" carfax report would be for a vehicle like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72