Should I Buy this car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

Zeb

After reading alot of horror stories about RR in general I am wondering if its really worth buying one at all.

What I am looking at specifically is a 1997 RR HSE with 73k miles.
The car spent the first years of its life in South Florida and was recently sold at auction.

Looking at a CarFax on the VIN number it appears clear of any major faults or errors.

This is almost a 9 year old truck. Its priced at appx 11k and seems like its a great deal but thats without problems. Problems in general with this truck seem to be very costly, which i can not afford to have. Should i just look elsewhere?

The truck seems to have been serviced regularly and the exterior is good condition. Range Rovers in general are gorgeous trucks but after reading some history of folks on the net, they seem to be like trucks you buy because you want to deal with, or dont care about, the garbage involved with owning them.

While I have had friends who have owned late model RR's before i have yet to own one.
And I have never purchased a truck/car that was this old.

I am a little confused, i love the truck and hope for no problems, but am I hoping on one hand as the world craps in the other here?

Zeb

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically you have two ways to look at this...

Buy the RR and hope for the best (may or may not work out)

Pass this RR by and wish you had bought it.

I have meet alot of people that have bought LR products and had no issues at all, just basic maint, myself included. My '97 Disco has basically been trouble free. I bought it 3 years ago off of Ebay and really have not had any issues. I have upgraded the brakes and a few other things, but other than upgrades all I have really had to do is: brakes, air cleaners, oil/filters, belt, and plugs/wires... this has been over the last 2.5 years and 40k miles. No issues and it runs great.

What you hear on the web is mostly people who have issues. Check any dedicated web site to any vehicle and you will find the people with issues. I am not saying that this RR will be issue free, but there is a good chance.

Z

Zeb

Thanks Joey

I looked into getting a warranty with the vehicle, it ranges in price from 700 to 4000 and from basic coverage to bumper to bumper for 3 years/36k miles.

While 4 grand is a decent chunk of change, if it covers everything, even normal wear and tear, it could pay for itself 10x over in the course of 3 years.

I am going to try and make it work, getting the dealer, finance company, warranty company and myself to all get on the same page is the next balancing trick.

All this work, and I have not even driven the vehicle yet!!!

Thanks again

Zeb

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72