Side View Mirror replacement not auto dipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all! So, a month or so ago, I parked on the street and some lovely individual decided my side view mirror was just too nice to leave it on the side of my truck....insert a very disappointed/angry face when I found the carnage the next day.

Anyway, I've run into an issue with my replacement mirrors. The swap was easy, and they all just plug right up. However, the new mirror does not auto-dip, nor does it auto adjust when the seat memory button is pushed. I will say, I did opt to buy a pair of RRS auto folding mirrors, and a quick tweak to the CCF and a new door panel from a 2011 LR4 with folding mirrors and voila! I now have power folding mirrors. However, the RRS mirrors were actually the 3rd replacement I tried. The first one, from an LR4 would attempt to auto dip, but go crazy and get stuck. The second one didn't attempt to auto dip at all, and then I went big and bought both mirrors for my third attempt. I know, I know, good money on top of bad, but in my defense, I got a refund for the first mirror, and the second was REALLY cheap....hence why I wasn't surprised when it didn't work.

The interesting thing is that the all the replacement mirrors adjusted just fine with the door panel controller. The new ones also auto fold as well....

Is there some sort of internal logic and/or processor that needs to be reset? Did I buy the only power folding, non-memory mirrors? I have to believe that if the RRS came with power folding mirrors, they were also auto dipping memory ones as well...but I've been wrong before.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may not be 100% correct in my recollection, but when I was looking into this a couple years ago, there are specific mirrors that dip and ones that don’t. I tried activating reverse dip on mine with the gap tool and it didn’t work, which led me to look up mirrors; mine don’t have that feature internally so I couldn’t turn it on

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know there's several different versions of the mirrors, and I can't find where they stamped the part numbers, so I'm not 100% sure of the interchange.

That said, wouldn't the non-dip mirrors move with the seat memory button? Or maybe that was an "upgrade?"

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where the mirror part number is stamped? Or, is it the paper sticker that had disintegrated one pretty much every mirror I had/have?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you look on the back of the motor ; I want to say that's going to determine if memory they support memory.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, but the auto-dip position is programmable, right? I wonder if the motors (presumably a servo with some kind of rotary encoder) have to be sync'ed with the seat memory module. Try that. Make sure auto-dip is enabled, start the car, shift into reverse, and adjust the mirror using the switch on the door. Switch to forward or park, and see if the mirror moves back to the non-dipped position. If that works, hit the M and whichever 1,2,3 button to save the settings.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! The sad part is that I tried that with the first 2 mirrors, but didn't try it with this one! (sometimes I really worry about myself!)

Buuuuuuut....Eureka! It totally worked! I guess it just stayed at the "zero" position until programmed into it's dipped position when in reverse. On a side note, I realized my wife and I have the same driver's side view mirror position....which explained why it wouldn't move when selecting memory 1 or 2. (insert GIANT facepalm here).

The only thing I'd like to add for anyone looking at this thread later is that I'm not sure if simply enabling the power fold mirrors in the CCF would have worked without the new door panel mirror switch. I do know it didn't work without the CCF edit. Unfortunately, I don't have my old door panel to test the theory. It could be as simple as updating the CCF once the correct mirrors are installed....or it may require both.

audioslave

Reaction score
I may not be 100% correct in my recollection, but when I was looking into this a couple years ago, there are specific mirrors that dip and ones that don’t. I tried activating reverse dip on mine with the gap tool and it didn’t work, which led me to look up mirrors; mine don’t have that feature internally so I couldn’t turn it on
i was successful activating the mirror dipping with the GAP tool. HOWEVER, the mirrors won't go back in the normal position. i assume mine don't have memory as well.
(my car does't have memory seats)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA