Sierra Snow and LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbutler93

Reaction score
We've had our LR3 now for 20 months and have put a solid 30,000 Miles on it. It's an HSE loaded and i had serious reservations about the car before buying it but my wife loved the car and so goes the rational.

I had reservations about the land rover as my father owned a Disco and the truck was frankly crap, a good friend also owned a Disco and ditto. In high school a wealthy family owned a Range Rover and i was baffled why it had a choke on a $50k car. They also owned six Ferrari's and two Lambo's where the lights would go up and down so i just thought them eccentric.

Experience told me land rovers were not up to ***** on quality, we own a bmw x5 and it has been fantastic but lacks a little in the off road and hairy weather capability.

Good news is after 20 months, we have worked out the LR3 kinks (leaks in the roof, tire wear, suspension glitches, etc) and have gotten to the point of really loving the car/SUV. It handles great, looks fantastic and is one of three vehicles capable of handling the serious Sierra winter where 8 feet of snow can drop in two days. The two other options were the Hummer's, H1 and H2. Amazing off-road vehicles but very different.

To put it in perspective, we received 34 inches of snow over Christmas and the town plow dug us in by creating at least a 30 inch berm that was 24 inches wide. Family loaded we could not bust the berm in high gear and normal height but i raised the suspension and put it in low and damn the LR3 could not be stopped, well done now a fan.

mtbutler93

Reaction score
stock Goodyear's 19s, i'm not really a fan as they wear too fast but I'm not aware of many options for the 19".

What set of tires should i get next, i heard the michelin's are good? What else is there?

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Continentals from a RRS.. but they probably aren't that good off road

sunlion

Reaction score
Did you go through or over the berm? I got stuick in 24" of wet snow this weekend. The wheels kept spinning, in either high ot low gear with stock all seasons.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not many trucks will make it very far through 24" of wet snow.

mtbutler93

Reaction score
the berm was 24" wide and 30" high of packed snow moved by a huge Cat plow, we went over it as through it was not an option, too dense. Got stuck in high gear normal drive height but dialed in the height and low gear and we went right over

Kestreljr

Reaction score
This is like a bad tease! Where are the pics! The more you talk about your travel the more I pine for pics! :argh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72