Sirius satellite radio popping noise & linking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R2B2

Reaction score
When I lose the Sirius satellite connection, the radio pops loudly almost like an electrical shock noise. The radio continues to 'activate' and then after about 10-15 seconds, the connection returns.

I've taken the car to my dealer 2 times already and they run the updates but can't do much because they never actually hear the noise. It's happening more frequently now and I'm getting frustrated, with no answer to a solution. Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
My sat radio loses connection all the time. Quite annoying. I compared the locations where it goes out with my wife's BMW and hers doesn't cut out.

I haven't taken it to dealer as I am sure they will blame it on the sat signal and Sirius will blame it on the antennae. Most likely a no win situation. I think I might cancel my subscription.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I lose the Sirius satellite connection, the radio pops loudly almost like an electrical shock noise. The radio continues to 'activate' and then after about 10-15 seconds, the connection returns.

I've taken the car to my dealer 2 times already and they run the updates but can't do much because they never actually hear the noise. It's happening more frequently now and I'm getting frustrated, with no answer to a solution. Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Have you had Sirius/XM send a reset signal to your radio? Just give them a call and they'll do it while you're on the phone with them. I don't use satellite radio in my 2011 LR4 but this has helped me when I've had glitchy situations in other vehicles.

R2B2

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, I have been to the dealer twice. It's been reset twice. I know that satellite will always have spots where the reception is lost. I am not so much concerned about that, it's more that the sound/activity that occurs when it happens sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue and unique to this vehicle.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, I have been to the dealer twice. It's been reset twice. I know that satellite will always have spots where the reception is lost. I am not so much concerned about that, it's more that the sound/activity that occurs when it happens sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue and unique to this vehicle.

Got it, didn't realize the dealer was working with Sirius to send reset signal.

Hopefully you'll be able to identify specific locations that cause it to drop off (i.e., there is an interstate bridge here in Maryland area that always caused mine to lose reception). Then make the dealer techs take it to that location so they can hear it. Alternatively and maybe even better you can record it on your phone as it happens and provide that to them. You are right that it is not normal or at least it's not anything that I have ever experienced in numerous vehicles I've had with sat radio. Good luck!

PS: I caught the part about the dealer running updates but I thought you meant a flash to the onboard system or head unit and not to your Sirius subscription specifically.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popping sounds can indicate bad grounding somewhere, I would guess between the SDARS module and the roof antenna considering the radio needs to reacquire signal after you hear the pop. Does this occur sporadically or all the time, only when you drive on broken pavement or even on good roads, etc.? If the module checks out OK through diagnostics, I would check the antenna connection next.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought many times that this forum needs the feature that lets members "+1" or up-vote or give positive rep for good responses...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo