Some key fob help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went through all of the forums and tried to fix it myself... it didn't work and I am now dead in the water... driving my son's VW as my LR3 won't start...

LR of Austin told me there was no electronic "key" and I could start my car... nope... it sits dead in my driveway waiting for $400 problem with a $5 solution...

Apparently when your remote battery runs out, you no longer deserve to own a Landy... even at $50k purchase price...

$400 to get a new key... do any of you find this a bit too much?

NewRover2008

Reaction score
so for clarification......when the battery runs out....you have to buy a new key for $400-$500?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My FOBs went down to a "quite dead" state and would still mechanically start the car, so I'm not sure...

...there are cheaper alternatives. Search the forum. People have bought blank FOBs and moved the shank, then re-programmed. That's a $250'ish solution. Some have cut open the FOB and changed the battery.

A lot of work...

...like I said, NewRover, it's a commitment!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the engine start battery dead?

Do you have interior dome lights when you open the door?

I presume the doors are open and you cannot lock the car either? Regardless, do not try to lock the doors as they just may, but then no unlock.

The battery that goes dead is in the key fob only operates the door lock /unlock mechanisms.

The engine immobilizer function within the key fob is powered by the engine starting battery thru the the engine computer and a coil within the key hole. The battery within the key fob has nothing to do with starting the engine. As Houm's post said, his 3 started with a dead key fob battery.

In other words, you most likely do not have a key fob problem, you probably have an engine starting problem.

I suggest that you put the engine battery on a battery charger or at least determine the battery voltage. In a perfect world, battery voltage would be 12.6 VDC with everything off. Less than 10 volts and it may as well be no battery. The battery could be good but the engine starter motor could have quit instead.

Any if forever more, you want to use the mechanical door lock mechanism, you do not have to replace the key fob battery. Many do however, so as below, there is a link to the key fob tear apart instructions.

http://www.**************/forum/topic39609.html?highlight=+key++fob

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I resoldered and reassembled again and now the truck starts, but I still have no remote functions... this just isn't right...

Told the wife I will be dropping just under $400 to Land Rover of Austin tomorrow so I can operate my doors... she isn't happy about it and I don't blame her...

Changed out the battery in her remote for about $6... mine... $400...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good ol' LRA. No other options on the key, although if the battery was bad, changing it should have fixed the problem. I wonder if it is possible it has lost the programing. Is the battery you installed charged? It should charge in the ignition. A new key has to come from LR UK, and then needs to be programmed to the vehicle at the dealer.

Have you measured the voltage on the new fob battery?

On other maintenance and issues, there is a good independent who can do what you need in Austin, protechtx.com They have done all kinds of stuff for me there, at a fraction of the price. I usually supply my own parts, ordered online. I've had air struts rebuilt, all front and lower bushes, cv joints, belts, tranny work, differentials rebuilt, brakes, you name it. They do not have a computer for the LR3, so I bought my own. Gone are the days of 500.00 oil changes.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out the battery in a key fob is the easy part provided you can solder and desolder, the battery costs 8 bucks on ebay....I think it was a panasonic battery. The hardest part about it was getting the damn thing apart so you can get inside. The key fobs are sealed tight so that if you drop it in water it won't hurt it (in theory anyway, I never tried it) just follow the instructions from the UK site and don't cut yourself like I did trying to pry the thing open.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out the battery in a key fob is the easy part provided you can solder and desolder, the battery costs 8 bucks on ebay....I think it was a panasonic battery. The hardest part about it was getting the damn thing apart so you can get inside. The key fobs are sealed tight so that if you drop it in water it won't hurt it (in theory anyway, I never tried it) just follow the instructions from the UK site and don't cut yourself like I did trying to pry the thing open.

Yeah... that was a pain...

Turns out there was a kink in the remote wire that runs along the passenger side...

So I paid $400 for a new remote when all that was needed was $80 worth of labor...

In fairness to LR Austin, they waved the fee to fix that because they think the remote is priced too high as well...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a FOB 129.00 and got a list of places that are supposed to be able to cut it. Assuming all goes well and I can pair it to the vehicle, I'll post the details..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72