Key fob not working? Try using a napkin :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
Thought I would share this as it might help someone else as these fobs are expensive or you might be in a desperate situation away from home.

If your key fob stops working, open it up and make sure the plastic shroud that covers the chip is fully attach to the internal circuit board. If it is not, try this simple fix?

Fix:
In a pinch tear off a small piece of paper or napkin and fold it over so it is 6x thick or so and about a half inch square then, put it on top of the tallest part of plastic shield (the round dome) that covers chip, reclose fob and see if it works? You might need to reduce or increase the folds in the paper for the correct pressure as too little or too much pressure on plastic shroud will result in it not working.

Let me explain:
My fob had not been responding well for a long time. So, when do I replace the battery… of course when I was on a big trip; three hours away from home. After replacing the battery, the fob did not work at all, and the car would not start. After retrying with the old battery and dicking with it for 20 minutes I got it to start sometimes but then it became unresponsive again, so what the heck was going on?

Bottom line:
I came to discover the plastic shroud/shield that surrounds the chip in the internal circuit in the fob needs to be firmly against the circuit board. To do this, I placed a torn up piece of a napkin on the very top (the round dome) of the plastic shild and it provided enough pressure when snapping the fob back together that it worked. One thing to note is that if it’s too tight it will not work either. I still need to glue this down,but it has been working for two months now. My assumption is that it was bit loose before and then became completely loose when I pried open the fob to get the battery out.

Well pretty goofy but worked for me and could possible save someone else?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic shield is an RF blocker. Doesn't really affect the operation of the key fob. It's not electrically connected to the circuit board.

If your key fob battery is dead, you can place the key fob on the left side of the knee bolster (driver's side) to start the car.

FYI. You can fit your circuit board to the newer slim line key fob casing. Just have to do some minor trimming to the corner of the circuit board.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
The plastic shield is an RF blocker. Doesn't really affect the operation of the key fob. It's not electrically connected to the circuit board.

If your key fob battery is dead, you can place the key fob on the left side of the knee bolster (driver's side) to start the car.

FYI. You can fit your circuit board to the newer slim line key fob casing. Just have to do some minor trimming to the corner of the circuit board.
Thanks for the tip on how to use the fob if battery is dead!

This was my assumption as how can a plastic cover make a difference as it's nonconductive but it made a difference? Maybe I have something else wrong with the circuit board and the additional pressure helps the problem? All I know is if I take it out it does not work.

Any idea what it might be helping?

Also, do you know the model number of the other fob, as I do not like the bulky ness of the original one?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably loose battery connection. Tissue maybe twisting the circuit board enough to make a difference.

Key fob casing part #
LR078921

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72