Steering box leak - seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floridarover

Reaction score
Hey folks! Thanks for the help with my first question. I tracked a loose connection. Now I have the steering box leaking where the steering shaft enters the box. Is there a seal that I can replace or does the box have to come out and be rebuilt/replaced? How do I tell which steering box I have? There seems to be two different types.

Last edited:

audioclay

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The seals can be replaced, but EVERYONE has told me to replace the gear box. By the time that you get it out and replace the seals, might as well have replaced the box. Apparently, once it starts leaking replacing the seals becomes a regular occurrence. More than one source has confirmed this. My gear box is being changed out tomorrow... best of luck!

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Audioclay is right........ when the seals leak generally the issue is the bushings are worn, and the new seals will be a short lived repair.

Good job Audioclay.....................

Chongo..................:bandit:

floridarover

Reaction score
Roger that........I am searching now for a rebuilt box.
Thanks!!!!

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Affirmative on the Lucas doing the work on slowing that leak down; - mine (97 Disco) started leakng 2 years ago - Lucas has kept it from going Kaputski!

floridarover

Reaction score
Picked up the Lucas product today...................thanks for the help. Going to try to hold off on buying that new steering box.

meyersd

Reaction score
Run your box on 100% Lucas, and you won't have any leaks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99