Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

New to the forum so thanks for the ear. I am considering buying a used 1995 Discovery but is has one issue...The steering column is off center but the alignment on the car is straight...Is this possible without being part of collision to offset this?

Thanks
CL

A

antichrist

Do you mean the column itself is actually off center, to the right or left? Or that the Steering wheel is "turned" one direction or the other?

If the former, it's possible a collision could cause it and that they had the alignment fixed, though I'd think there'd be other evidence. Also possible fixings are a loose, but I'm sure the whole thing would be loose.

If the latter, the track rod ends were probably replaced, but not adjusted properly. This wouldn't affect alignment, possibly only your turning radius to either the right or left.

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom

Thanks for the quick reply! The steering wheel itself is about 20 degrees to the left of center. If its the track rods, then my next question is the vehicle only has 20K miles on it. I sense this is too good to be true at a price of 8K. the rest of the car looks fine with only an power lock actuator to be replaced supposedly.

Thanks
CL

A

antichrist

Well..that does sound like a good price. For that price, it would probably be worth spending a couple hundred on having it checked out by a rover mechanic (dealers won't do it though, at least not in Atlanta) if you aren't familar with Discos.
Good luck.

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9