Steering shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the steering shaft on their LR4?

I've had some symptoms off and on for the last year or so that are consistent with a binding u-joint in the steering shaft.

I believe I access it by removing the heat shields inside the drivers' front wheel well?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could swear one of our regulars had either the shaft or the rack replaced.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen someone who had the rack done. I'm hoping that's not my problem. Doesn't seem like it. I don't have any PS fluid leaks, at least.

I think the shaft was more of a problem on LR3s and early LR4s, from what I've read.

My issue mainly occurs when I'm either going extremely slow or not moving at all, such as when I parallel park. Occasionally have a wobbling feeling or some binding in the steering. Points to a U-joint problem.

The youtube videos I've seen are no help. It's mentioned in the LR3 subforum, but only offhandedly. But Atlantic British caries both the Land Rover part and the OE part, which tells me it's a common issue.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered those from Land Rover Tampa, as Atlantic British does not carry them.

What's crazy is that my actual local dealership is Land Rover Merriam (aka Aristocrat Land Rover), but they claim they can't sell off their landrovermerriamparts.com website locally.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I actually got them from LR tampa as well. They had the best price on them.

That is a weird policy. You would think that they would welcome the local sale so they didn't have to bother with the nationwide shipping nightmare. Of course, they would then miss out on whatever shipping mark up they apply.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have tried to tell me it's against the law for them to ship local.

Of course, I know they are full of beans, but I can tell they earnestly believe it when they tell me it.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Any idea how prevalent are steering rack failures on LR4's? I'm going to replace mine - debating between a used vs new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA