steering wheel shakes when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When first started in the morning, my steering wheel shakes for the first several minutes of driving, when going faster than 50mph. After several minutes, it stops. It seems to occur only when its first started in the morning. Three trips to the dealer and many tire rotations later, no luck.

Any ideas??

ihatecats78

Reaction score
What kind of tires do you have on the LR4? Some tires that I have had on various vehicles have developed "flat spots" from sitting overnight. In colder weather, this is especially noticeable in the first few miles of driving. After the tires warm up, they regain their round shape and vibrations stop. This may have nothing at all to do with your problem, but it could be the reason why your vehicle stops after a few minutes of driving it. Given that the LR4 is such a heavy vehicle, I suspect that you might be experiencing the same problem I have.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. Flat spots would be my guess. Other things that might cause a vibration would be a rotor that was warped, but I would think it would continue to shake even after warm. Although I did have a vehicle that would have a shake in the steering wheel after it warmed up; it was a warped rotor.

Check the pressure in your front tires. I have been happy running about 4-5PSI less than the max on the sidewall of the tire for all 4 corners. That might help with flat spotting. It's worth a try.

Rob

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock tires from Continental. They only have 5000 miles on them. Are these tires so cheap that i get flat spots from just sitting over night?? I have never owned a car that did this before. After 4 tire balances, they are now telling me they have readjusted the allignment. They say the calipers, breaks, rotors and tires are all normal.

When I googled the problem, flat spots sure seemed a likely culprit, but dealer says tires are 100% normal and only have 5000 miles on them.

Im supposed to pick up the car monday.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same Conti tires on my LR4. I haven't had any problems with flat spots or steering wheel shake. I'm not sure where you are located or what the temps are falling to at night. If they are falling below freezing and your rig sits out at night, I wonder if this will happen to my truck as the temps fall.

On a side note, I can honestly tell you I think the Continetal tires are great for a street tire. I believe they handle well, are extreemly quiet and the ride is good. I doubt that I will purchase them as replacement tires, but only because I need something more aggresive for off-road use.

Rob

alxforschnr

Reaction score
I had this problem. Noticed my wheel shaking once speed got over 50 mph. Brought car in and after three hours they said it was due to tire pressure being different in two of the tires. It is much better but still notice a tiny amount of vibration.

Any one notice a vibration coming from the driver side passenger seat or noise coming from the rear of the car?

scottd132

Reaction score
I have the same problems. The dealer balanced the tires three times and sent them out. They even swapped tires and wheels with a used LR3 and it made the shake go away. The Conti tires are crap and they are out of round. The dealer tried to get the local service rep to cover new tires but they would not do it and they would not go with me on a ride so I could show them. I have owned LR vehicles for a long time and this is the last. BTW I have had brakes and rotors replaced at 20k miles due to warped rotors and within 1500 miles the rotors are warped again. LR is CRAP and the corporate support is terrible. I owned two LR3's one 2003 Range Rover a Freelander and then this LR4.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you have been a loyal Land Rover guy for a long time. It's crazy to me that your dealer wouldn't have stepped up and replaced your tires even if the tire guy wouldn't. At least given you a deal on a new set???

The tire guy wouldn't even give you any type of credit to get new tires? That baffles me too...

I'm not going to say tires are cheap, but in perspective they are a consumable item and need to be replaced every so often any way. I guess if this was your only issue with your LR4, I might suggest getting new ones on your own dime. I understand there is a principle here, and based on your narative it is not your only issue.

As for the brakes, I'm a little concerned about the warping and life of the pads. You are not the first to complain about how quickly they wear out, but I think you might be the first to mention warped rotors. I'm not sure where you are, but maybe it is partialy due to the climate you are in.

As for me, I have not had any brake or tire issues with my LR4. I have the Conti's, and they have never let me down yet. As I mentioned earlier, I won't buy the tires as a replacement only because I need a more aggresive tire. For the street, I have found them more than accepetable. No flat spots over night, good wear, good traction and very quiet and have a good ride. I have just under 10k on mine and I haven't even rotated them yet as they are wearing even from tire to tire.

Not to hijack the thread, but how many times have you called Land Rover corperate over the years? Have they ever done anything positive for you? Just curious as I have never had to call headquarters for any of the new cars I have purchased in the last 18 years.

Thanks and good luck,

Rob

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my tires balanced 5 times. I have had a new set of same tires put on by Discount Tire under warranty. No relief.
Land rover dealer just replaced the entire steering system. No relief.
Breaks and rotors and suspension examined and normal.

My steering wheel vibration/shaking is only at speeds more than 50mph and is intermittent. Very frustrating!

scottd132

Reaction score
I am in Seattle. I have the same problem with shaking, it is dependent on the road condition and the tire temp. But in the end even when they are warm on the best road they still shake. The professionalism on the dealer here is good as far as the service manager goes. The corporate support is not good. When they refuse to ride with me they are basically calling me a liar. I expect better out of a premium car brand. Both local dealers are owned y the same person so there is no reason to change dealers.

I agree that the tires are consumables and I cannot wait until I have to buy new ones on my dime.

The brakes are another thing all together and I only wish there was a class action suit or enough problems to warrant one.

I do not have time to mess with the problems and like most of us have a family and job and bought this car becasue of the supposed quality and service offered.

BTW I was treated different when I owned my 2003 Range Rover. I also purchased all 5 of my cars from the same dealer and paid cash for all of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72